Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Pink Lightning





I found out that pink lightning is only found in slow moving thunderstorms and only at night. It results from a charge on the dust particles in the air at the time.
I found several youtube videos of what it looks like. The best one had embed disabled.
Here is another for you to see if you wish


Awesome world in which we live. Sometimes a bit scary too.

As I was thinking about it I seemed to recall my father calling pink lightning "heat" lightning. Perhaps that also has a bit to do with it. We used to see heat lightning striking afar off on hot dry summer nights.

1 comment:

  1. it's gorgeous so long as you're not too close to the 'pinkness'

    chain lightning is cool too

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.