Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Great Days and Brass Samovars







ere is a samovar I was given as a gift a few years ago.
A samovar is a Russian tea maker.
They used to put hot coals in the bottom basin and it would heat the water for the tea.
Tea was made into an "essence" by making it very strong. It went into the little pot on top. You poured a bit of the tea essence into a cup them diluted the strong tea with the hot water from the spigot on the samovar.
Today they make electric ones. This one is purely ornamental.
It has a Russian fairytale on hand painted on it.
When you order them from Russia you get no choice of color, but whatever the color or fairy tale on it, they are lovely I think.
It has a tray that has more painting on it.

The fairytale is called Sivka Burka I made a link so you can read the short version of the tale if you like.


Yesterday the famous anonymous kid and I went to dinner and a movie. We had the best time. Movie was great and exciting and we both liked it a lot.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Annie;

    What a beautiful Russian tea set. I've never seen anything like it. I will take the time to click on your link and learn more about the fairy tale.

    Glad you had a nice time with the "famous anonymous" kid. What movie did you see?

    Have a great Wednesday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very interesting and ornate. From Russia With Love. I saw the provocative header you made on your other blog. Was it For Your Eyes Only? Luckily, I don't have any Lord of the Rings puns. I did, however, once know a woman who used the alias "Lady Rohan".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie,
    Thanks for the cards. That Russian tea set is beautiful. Who is the "famous anonomous kid"?? And what movie did you see?? Inquiring minds want to know ;) Have a wonderful Wednesday.
    Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous Kid? Oh tell more! Like Dru said - inquiring minds want to know, nosy aren't we? lol
    Yes what movie, and where did you go for dinner?
    elaborate *lol*
    The Russian Tea Set is very interesting and so lovely.

    Have a wonderful day!
    huggs

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.