Thursday, October 14, 2010

Make Some Vinegar.

This recipe comes from the Farmer's Almanac where I find some of my best recipes.
Herbal or even fruit flavored vinegars make very nice dressing for salad and are nice on chicken, fish and in different recipes.
I love vinegar. Malt, Balsamic and I am really eager to find and try pineapple vinegar.
You can use raspberries, strawberries,etc to make your vinegar.


* 1 cup fresh herbs (basil, tarragon or thyme, for example)
* 1 quart vinegar

Place herbs in a clean quart jar. Heat vinegar just to the boiling point and pour it over the herbs, filling the jar to the top. Seal and store in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks for the fullest flavor. Strain the vinegar into 2 pint bottles and add a fresh sprig of the herb.

Strawberry Vinegar:
2 Tablespoons of vinegar
1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced 2 cups white wine vinegar

Stir these together and let stand room temperature for about 2 days.
Take out the strawberries and then strain the liquid through cleaned cheesecloth.
you can store it in a tight capped bottle in a dark closet at a cool temperature.
It's delicious.
You can do the same for raspberries.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Annie,
    That strawberry vinegar sounds great. On salad I bet it would be delicous. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie! I guess I never thought of making my own flavored vinegars. This will definitely be something that I want to do. Thank you so much for sharing.

    I must say, your prior post brought me to tears. That sweet little baby - how could any Mom show such neglect? Thank God that you were there Annie. I would have done the same thing. My heart breaks & my blood boils when a child or an animal is done wrong. Actually when anyone is done wrong, but a child is so innocent, & cannot speak for themselves. It's painful when one has stepped in & done what they had to do, & been criticized for it. I so know that deep, deep hurt. God bless you for your kind, kind heart. I am so glad that I know you here in blogland. Sending big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't vinegar just great? :) I love them all (exept malt) but apple, raspberry and balsamic vinegars are my fave. Pineapple vinegar sounds so strange to me, but I would give it a try for sure :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.