Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Complaints and Kugels

I had to yell at myself today because of the weather my own inability to be glad for what is.
All winter long I was thinking how slippery and cold it was.Moan, whine, complain, carry on, worry. Worry about slipping!
I began to skate when I was 3 with my Daddy. When I went to university, I took a class in figure skating for Phys. Ed class.
There I was in my skirt skating my little brains out. (yes my brains are very little).
After skating, I would put on my weejuns(I loved those things back in the day) and promptly fall on my butt. Never on the ice mind you. Just on the street, the carpets, in the shower, in a bus, on a plane..  anywhere but on the ice.
I am a really klutzy person.
Someone used to call me Calamity Jane because of it.
On plain ground I couldn't stand up straight.
It's the same today but, this year I worried about slipping on ice and was kind of over the top with it. Why?
Well,  I once fell on ice (happened just twice really)  while walking the little one to kindergarten and had a mighty painful tailbone for a long time. The painful memory stuck with me.
But when this clumsy one falls, its usually NOT on the ice.   Still, that was my particular thing to whine over this year.   Had to be something I guess so that was it.
The whining continued through winter:
'Way too much snow', I thought to myself. 'How glad I will be for spring to appear.'
So here comes spring and I am thinking, "Oh, this  stupid sneezing and these headaches , must be pollen brewing in the air. Yuk. And the damp chill in spring....".
Blah, blah,  on and on in my head until I grew tired of it and said outloud, "Oh shut up!".
  I was disgusted with the complaining going on inside my head.
Are we ever satisfied?
Now you are probably saying , "Who's this we?".

anyway this blinkie is good advice!

I also thought I would post a recipe for Pineapple   Kugel . It is a pudding made with  egg noodles.

Its a very homey and comforting dish.    Something different for a change too...


Pineapple Kugel

You need a 12 ounce package of egg noodles medium ones are just fine for this.
3 good size eggs
1/4 cup and 2 Tablespoons of white sugar
1/4 cup and 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
1/2 cup of vegetable oil. I use olive oil .
1/2 cup of fresh shredded pineapple or canned will do.
1 tsp of vanilla
Sprinkle of cinnamon.

You oven should be 350°f(Moderate oven)
Drain the cooked noodles and let them cool down a bit.
Beat the eggs until just mixed a bit.
Now add your sugars , oil , vanilla and pineapple.
Then toss this with the noodles til every noodle is covered and mixed in.
Place this mixture into a 9 X 13 glass baking dish and sprinkle with a little cinnamon.
Cover it with foil and bake it for about an hour. Check it often to see how it is setting.
Then bake for about 5 minutes without the foil to brown the outside a bit.. not too much though, no longer than 5 minutes.
Serve for dessert by cutting into squares after cooling a bit.
It is good cold or warm.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Annie, sorry you felt this way, hopefully your usual optimism is back! I love the look of your blog, it's so pretty. I hope now you're enjoying life & taking things more easily.
    The recipe looks yummy, thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie! I took ice skating lessons for a short while when I was little. All our rinks are indoors, of course. I could google but wondering what weejuns are. Probably something like Uggs but they sound like little moccasins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie,
    Whenever I go to Canter's I have to bring home a few pieces of noodle kugel. I love pineapple so this recipe sounds yummy! Luckily I never fall but I have friends like you falling down stairs etc. Ice would be a big issue for people that tend to fall a lot for sure. I also don't have any allergies per say so Spring does not mean a thing to me but I have friends that have allergies and fall too ;) My per say is I don't like chocolate because it kind of burns my throat and I just thought that was normal all these years until I mentioned it to someone and they said they thought the same thing about Bananas that made their throat itch. So I guess I am allergic kind of? I always been a vanilla cake person I guess because of that? Hope you have a wonderful day.
    Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie;

    I too have the fear of falling outside. I remember as a youngster I loved the winter. I used to ice skate, (indoor roller and street skate) too. Thanks for the memories ;-}

    The Pineapple Kugel sounds delicious. I copied the recipe to try on a later date. My problem being alone, I'll probably eat the whole thing myself. lol!

    I love your new header with the good looking dog in it. You do such beautiful work. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.