Friday, May 27, 2011

"Decoration Day Weekend"

Civil War veteran salutes with a Boy Scout and a soldier
at a grave site : Oak Woods Cemetery, Chicago
Decoration Day, 1927


Memorial Day is coming Monday the 30th
Or as my grandmother called it, Decoration Day.
Will you be celebrating?

Some have problems with bugs when outdoors spring and summer.
There is a "sweetness" to some peoples skin scent that attracts bees and other buggies.
I found some helpful hints in my almanac that you might like to know about. They have the best stuff!

From the Farmer's Almanac:
• Rub the skin with baby oil or imitation vanilla extract to ward off mosquitoes and blackflies.
• Some people swallow slivered garlic to ward off pests. Others take garlic tablets or rub garlic juice on their skin.
• If you get bitten, rub on lemon juice, white vinegar, or meat tenderizer.
Get a bat house! Did you know that one small brown bat can eat as many as 600 mosquitoes in one hour?
t is thought that certain plants repel a broad spectrum of insects. Marigolds, chrysanthemums, asters, and pyrethrum daisies, as well as herbs such as basil, anise, and coriander, are all thought to repel insects.

By the way, if you see "mosquito plants" in a local nursery, just let me tell you they do work. They have a citronella like smell. Plant enough of them around a porch etc and they deter mosquitoes which are the national bird on the east coast in our sub-tropical climate states which range from New Jersey to Florida .
(Yes NJ is sub tropical and if you experienced the summer humidity you would know it!)

Be careful of using garlic or onion in a yard as they are deadly to pets and wild animals.

Whatever your weekend has in store, I wish you a wonderful, peaceful and relaxing end to the week with serene weather.
Be safe and well everyone.




4 comments:

  1. Your blog allows me to add my name and URL so IU can comment, Annie --not so with many others! Very frustrating!

    I will pass all of your tips onto a friend who has a terrible time getting bit by mosquitoes in the summer. I am half and half.

    Enjoy the weekend and Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday Annie;

    Great info on mosquitos. I use quite a few of your hints. My family always called "Decoration Day" (as it was known) "Remembrance Day" for that was the day we would go to different cemeteries to "visit" loved ones we lost in wars.

    Well we finally got summer weather along with the humidity. LOL!! But I won't complain until I have to turn on the a/c. ;-}

    Have a lovely and blessed holiday weekend my friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao Annie, happy Saturday.
    Great info on mosquitos. It's still too cold here for them, just 50 F degrees... snif!
    Have a lovely long weekend, take care and have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie,
    My sister and JFK's birthday sometimes falls on this day but not this year. We are having Summer weather that is for sure in the 80's.Hope you have a wonderful Holiday weekend I am running off to see Hangover 2 with a friend.
    Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.