Tuesday, July 12, 2011

we get used to people online even just through words and when they disappear it is a loss. These are people you read daily or at least a few days a week and when they no longer post you really miss it.
To me it is like walking next door and coming into their kitchen for a cup of tea and a quick update from them on how they are doing.   It is a social activity that, if you told me about years ago, I would not have believed could exist. But it does and it has connected people all around the world showing that distance is no hindrance to friendship and concern.
It is simply amazing.
Linking from one blog to another just opens up more and more doors to the wonderful people who blog.  I am rarely disappointed and to see the talents, the attitudes, bravery and pathos that are in their blogs is a rare experience. So while I wouldn't mind a return to the past in some areas of life, I would not like to lose this.

You know I love the Farmer's Almanac. For straightforward simply advice and help it can't be beat.
I found this on sunburn:   If it is a mild burn " apply cider vinegar, witch hazel, or cold peppermint tea. Bathe a sunburned face in buttermilk." They are good for burns and great on the complexion.
For heat the CDC advises you cut back on exercise in summer as it depletes the body of necessary fluids too much.
They also have this advice:
  • Dress in lightweight light-colored clothing and sun-reflective shirts. Wear loose clothing.
  • Wear wide-brimmed hats and sunglasses. Keep a stash of hats on hand for friends and family!
  • According to the CDC, fans may provide comfort but they do not prevent heat-related illnesses when the temperature is in the high 90s. Take a cool shower or bath, or move to an air-conditioned place to cool off.
  • Stay in the shade, especially between 11 A.M. and 3 P.M.
  • Avoid strenuous activities during the heat of the day.
  • NEVER leave anyone in closed, parked vehicle, even with the windows down.
  • To feel cooler, eat cooler. Reduce your protein intake.
  • Open your house to the breeze after sunset and leave it open until dawn.
  • In the early morning, draw the shades before the temperature starts to rise.
The opening windows will work if you live where you have night breezes but in the semi tropical eastern US what we have  often are  still (no breeze)  humid muggy nights. Temps might drop but the humidity does not make it feel cool.
When there is a breeze though, that advice does work nicely.
I have found that turning on air conditioning early in the morning and letting the house get actually quite chilly , then moderating it on a maintenance temp actually does keep the temps down all day long.

By the way,while I do make most of my dropcaps and use html for some, the drop cap today comes from HERE. They are free to use under a common license.
I upload them to a server. Its a lovely example of sharing on the net by talented people.

The bay today








1 comment:

  1. Hi Annie,
    What a great post. I was just thinking today since I am on FB that when my renewal for my hosting of WP is up in 1 1/2 years I might just stop blogging. So very few people blog anymore and let me tell you it would be a big loss to loose touch with all my blog buddies. You get to know thwm from their blogs. Darylynn and I live close so we get together occasionally it has been awhile since Jeff retired in June though. Great treatment for sunburn and somw great heat tips. Love the picture of the bay. Have a wonderfil evening.
    Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.