Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Little Fountain

This is a reposting of an old article.from July 2012

This is great feng shui for  your home.
You could   make a small "spring" that will attract birds and small animals and provide good "chi" to your environment.

You need a heavy duty rubber bucket or galvanized tub etc...not too deep, a little pond pump.. they cost around 10-35 dollars.. some wide metal meshing called hardware cloth and you have the makings.

Bury the bucket in the ground. and place the small pump inside .. it should come with a long tube so that the water can splash above the little "spring". Heads usually can be bought or come  with it to create various looks for the fountain.
Place the pump  in the bottom, use a flat rock to elevate it if you need to and fill it with water. Plug it in and test it.
The take the hardware cloth and place it over the top of the bucket which is buried in the ground. You will have to make a hole in it for a short piece of the tube to poke through a little.
Bend back the sharp ends!
Now, cover the mesh with small pebbles and rock in a pretty fashion..and make it look as if its part of the landscape.
Add flowers or plants around it.
 Now when you turn on your *spring* it will look as if water is bubbling up out of the ground. The water will bubble up, and splash down thru the stones and mesh into the bucket to be recycled up again.

Here is a version.. this one has a large fountaining effect..but you can adjust the flow so its not so huge. If its a simple little bubbling effect birds and small animals will come to drink and you will love watching them.


Look at this one Here.  Great instructions and photos.





8 comments:

  1. Hi Annie,
    That is a great idea. Very cool idea. No where I could do it :( I am going to show my son. Hope you have a wonderful Friday.
    Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I am going to talk to the hubby about doing it. I keep a big pan of water outside for any stray kitties needing a drink. I wonder if they would like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie;

    Reminds me of the same kind I've seen on decorating shows. Wish I had my own home & land to do an outdoor fountain like that. Have a lovely day ahead my friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool I would love that in my backyard. I have a pond and the birds like to take a bath in it is fun to watch them. I have a hummingbird feeder near it and near my window and I love watching them from my reclining couch. It's very relaxing. Nice idea for sure. Have a great week. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annie,
    Happy Monday Annie :)
    Hope you have a lovely week ahead.
    Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just posted today about a new fountain that we have in our backyard. We gave George & Robin our waterfall and replaced it with this new one. Cooper can't stop drinking out of it. G & R have a backyard completely set up for birds- they attract a lot of birds and squirrels, too. Once when we were going to sell our house, a couple that wanted to buy it had a "Wind and Water Man" come check it out... that was way before feng shui was in vogue. It passed muster and they wanted to buy our house but we changed our minds about selling. It was fascinating tho watching him (a very old Chinese man) check everything out. Enjoy the week ahead! (((Hugz)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. This should be a great backyard addition, especially that the year has just started and everybody is into attracting luck onto their house. :) But, I would want to attract animals and other creatures into my backyard. I would love to see other living things in my backyard. Promote biodiversity!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.