Monday, September 9, 2013

Movie Night: Percy Jackson, Sea of Monsters

Last night's twilight was beautiful as the Famous Anonymous Kid and I headed out to see 
 'Percy Jackson, Sea of Monsters' at a beautiful cinema in a town near us.
What a good time we had!
The critics said it was so-so but, as usual, they were wrong again.  
You see, it doesn't matter what a bunch of snobs think.  These kinds of movies are made for young people and they are not Shakespeare.  These movies are an escape from the every day not a foray into deep intellectualism.


Based on the reactions of the young audience, it gets 4 stars out of 5 .

The kids completely enjoyed it and so did I.
It is packed with action, mythology and a happy but tentative ending setting up for another movie.  I was gripping my chair during one scene, as was everyone else.
They took liberties with mythology and with Rick Riordan's book but, that's fine because it works.
The special effects are beautiful and engaging.
Poseidon sends a hippocampus (seahorse) to help his sons

I suspect many  will want to read the books once they see the movie.
If you like Greek mythology with a modern take  and filled with action and adventure, then this is a good film for you.
It is a fun way to spend an afternoon or evening out for anyone over 10 I think.
 Little ones might be frightened by some of the monsters.

What movies  do you want to see?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Annie,
    I just changed the font it is easier than you having to upload it. I am happy you enjoyed the movie. Those are not "Dru" movies for sure. I don't like period or fantasy movies. I have so many movies I want to see it is to long to list. Prisoners I want to see it comes out this week I believe and I loved We'er the Millers and The Butler. Hope you have a wonderful Monday. Oh Mommie Dearest didn't really hold up and the comedians that were interrupting it had a great time with it ;) We laughed so much my mouth was sore. Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie! I'm so glad that you had a good time with your granddaughter. :) Happy Belated Grandparents day, btw. :)

    I'm with Dru, I'm not a huge sci-fi or fantasy person. But there are tons of movies that I loved that the critics hated. I don't pay attention to those "snobs" either. lol

    I would love to see We're the Millers and Red 2. Hope you had a great Monday! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie;

    I think it's great being able to go to the movies with your granddaughter. I have the DVD of Percy Jackson & the Olympians and love it even though the critics panned that one too. What do they know!! You can bet I'll get Sea of Monsters when that comes out. I'm a big sci-fi fan and have been since I was a youngster. I got that from my father who owned most sci-fi books back in the day. I'm also a fantasy & action movie fan and own many of the latest DVDs. Have a great day ahead. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie
    It was so good to hear from you! I kinda lost your blog and searches were bringing up blogs with the same name that weren't you.

    This sounds like a wonderful movie and I'll keep it in mind when my grandson are a little older--at 4.5 and 2.5 they are still afraid of deep fantasy.

    Off to read a few more of your recent posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Annie.
    So glad you had such a lovely time with the Famous Anonymous Kid.
    Thanks for visiting us, what a sweet association between thistledown and little ballerina dresses. :)
    Happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annie, my son Andrew and I like the Sci Fi movies and he liked Mythology. I would watch it with him. We both saw Star Trek together. I don't go by critics either. What is important is that you made time to spend with your grand daughter. We took the grands to see planes and then Hubby and I saw The Butler. I love Star Wars movies too.
    Thanks for your visit! Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.