This recipe is straight out of the 1950's and New Jersey/York history.
This was very popular when first published it at my Rock & Roll Cafe site and is the most
requested recipe ever. Once you try it , it will be a favorite of your own too.
The Egg Cream first appeared in NYC and Brooklyn in the 1800's and has been one of the most refreshing and popular drinks you can imagine!!
And tasty? You Bet!! No eggs and no cream in them though .
Here.. make one for yourself and you will see how wonderful they are.
You will need:
- About 1/2 cup ice cold whole milk
- 1 cup bottled plain seltzer
- 2 heaping Tablespoons of U Bet chocolate syrup (or whatever kind you like. Hershey for instance)
- Pour about half an inch of cold milk into a tall chilled soda glass.
- Add seltzer or club soda to within 1 inch of the top of the glass stir briskly with a long spoon to make it frothy..really frothy.
- Pour in the chocolate syrup, approx 2 heaping Tablespoons.
- Let it drizzle down the inside of the glass then give some more brisk stirring action.
- Serve cold with a straw.
Ok.. ok.. if you really have to break tradition, you could add a couple spoon fulls of vanilla ice cream and I won't tell .