Thursday, August 25, 2016

Books, books and books.




T
oni, our blogging neighbor from upstate NY (I can wave to her from down here in south Jersey of course) posted this book meme and I thought I would too.

A good book and a cup of tea.

1. When growing up did your family share your love of books?
 My father did. His hands were always holding a book about religion or theology.  When his eyes were bad he studied books so much he wore a spot in the table where he was busy learning.  
2. If so, did one person get you into reading?
My father from example and my sister who used to give me books as gifts. She gave me books on poetry and a special book on Japanese Haiku with beautiful illustrations. My parents bought me books from National Geographic as well about travel and American Indians. 
3.And, do you have any family-oriented memories with books and reading? (Family trips to bookstore, reading the same book as a sibling or parent, etc.)
I tried to read some of my father's books but they were way above me. My father was a chemist who later opened a store which contained a lending library for the neighborhood.   


high brow reading
I enjoyed a few books but in general did not like to read books when I was very young. I would spend my little allowance on comic books mainly.  I really liked Archie comics.  Very highbrow stuff.
I was a straight A student in school but, I did not read anything really. All I wanted to do for the most part was be outside.
I did, however, sit in the town library reading the Encyclopedia Britannica and other reference books.

Now my taste in books runs to mysteries by Agatha Christie and other British writers like Dorothy Sayers. Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot are favorite characters.
Robert Parker, author of the Spenser for Hire and the Jesse Stone series is popular with me. He gets to the point!
And, I am a fan of the writings of Booth Tarkington and Charles Dickens.

I enjoyed David Copperfield and A Christmas Carol is probably my all time favorite book because of it's universal message about dealing kindly with your fellow man.
Seventeen by Booth Tarkington was fun and a lovely look at another era.
I was fascinated as an adult by the Little House on the Prairie series because it is a treasure trove of information about American attitudes in the pioneer years. It was very different back then.
I seem to have grown past the Archie years.

My library has biographies as well but I have followed in my father's footsteps
with an interest in religion, philosophy and history too.

I just finished reading the biography of Andrew Jackson , American Lion by Jon Meacham.
Well worth the time for the history and a good understanding of the man and the times.

What do you read?
What is your favorite book? Do you have one?
Is there an author you really enjoy?


Please join our prayers for Italy.  It is just devastating.
May God bless and help them.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Annie; I so enjoyed reading about love of books and happy you posted the meme. You know I'm a fan of fiction especially English authors and mysteries. I just read Dorothy Sayers Busman's Honeymoon. The old mysteries are still a favorite and Christie's Poirot and Miss Marple I read over and over again and never get bored. :) But we differ in biographies. They were never able to hold my attention. Have a lovely weekend dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your interests and the cute header (perhaps the inspiration for a child's book ?)
    Reading was a life-saver for me.We'd moved into a very different area and I read all the books in my classroom - history,biography,mythology,fiction-they were all transporting and comforting . The town's library was in a little old former church with creaky,wide plank floors and that distinctive old-book smell...lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your thoughts here. I'd like to join in with you and Toni but probably won't get the post done for a day or two. I love reading and I'm so glad that I have that love of books. Our reading tastes seem to be very similar. Love the cute header!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie, I enjoyed your post today and I think I will try to do the same. I use to have 2 big book cases of books but I donated a lot to the church library since down sizing. I do have 7 Bibles not counting my dads and grandmothers. Most of my reading is in the Bible now. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.