Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Hodge Podge



Wednesday is a good day for Hodge Podge and I am joining in.

It is called Carolina Style.


 1. Can you believe we're rolling in to the Labor Day weekend? What's a project you'll labor over this fall?

Summer was so short it seems.
Hopefully, I can get my heart straightened out and then, God willing, I would love to get some fall flowers and winter shrubs into the yard and begin planning for Thanksgiving Day which is a big day for my family.

2. Tell us about the best perks you ever had in a job?
I worked hard on my jobs as a single mother and got lousy pay for too much hard work.If I could think of anything it would be that I did learn things on jobs I have had.


3. August 31st is National South Carolina Day. Have you ever been to SC? Any desire to go? According to Southern Living, these are the top ten things to do in South Carolina...


Explore Charleston, bike, golf or relax on Hilton Head Island, see the beach and the boardwalk at Myrtle Beach, visit the state museum in the capital city Columbia, observe the wildlife and natural beauty of the Ace Basin, take a walk or hop on a trolley and check out Greenville's charming main street, visit Fort Sumter where the Civil War began, stroll through Pearl Fryar's Topiary Garden in Bishopville leaving time to check out The Button Museum, also in Bishopville, see Morgan Island (also known as Monkey Island)-home to nearly 4000 Rhesus monkeys.

 I have been through South Carolina on the way south. I would like to visit Chareston, SC. But not interested in the beaches as they really aren't much different than New Jersey.

Which is most appealing to you today? If you're a SC native, resident, or frequent visitor what would you add to the list?

Most appealing would be exploring Charleston.

4. Beef, pork, country-style, barbecued, baby back, spare or short...your favorite kind of rib?
 What's a dish you enjoy that really 'sticks to your ribs'?
I don't have a favorite kind of rib but it would not be pork at all. Pork, by the way, is very bad for people with heart issues  or blood problems including high blood pressure. Avoid it like the plague!
A dish I enjoy that sticks to the ribs would be a nice hot bowl of soup or chili with fresh bread.


5. What's one important skill you think every person should have? Why?

It is hard to stick with only one as there are so many that are essential in life. So, let me list a few and buck the rules here.
I think good manners and proper language skills are important.
It is important to know how to get along with others.
I think learning to care for yourself in an emergency is very important. Learn to build a fire, a shelter, etc.  Know how to survive in a hurricane, tornado etc.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

It has been a huge mistake for Americans to ignore their children's religious education.
When I was a little girl we learned the psalms in school and opened the day with prayer.
No one regretted that.
The idea that you can let your child decide for themselves is nonsense. One person said they didn't wish to "brainwash" their kids.  Well, sadly, if you don't lead your children in paths of righteousness, someone else will lead them and trust me, you will not like it!
A child left to his own devices will suffer hardship in life in so many ways and be lead by the wrong influences if they have no solid rock on which to stand.
Children need a good secular education, something which is falling by the wayside too mind you, but they also need to have a solid relationship with God.
That is the responsibility of a parent.
Deut.11:19  (Mechon Mamre edition)
And you shall teach them your children, speaking of them when you sittest in thine house, and when you walkest by the way, when you liest down, and when you risest up.
 And "blessed is the nation God is for and the people He has chosen".
Who has he chosen?    Anyone of any nation who believes His words and trusts in Him.
Those are the chosen.
 Let's get God back into American life.

Meanwhile, Praying for Texas!

Here is a random picture thought too:

This little beach is close to my house.  You can see the Bridge to the barrier island in the distance. My dog Brandy, God rest her, used to love to swim here!

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your answers. I know your referring to your health, here, my spirit needs more work, sad to say...I totally agree with about the children's religious ecucation. We homeschooled all the way thru and that allowed a Christian based education.

    Having lost everything in a natural disaster, let me just say, even though my "spirit" is down and hurting, being Christian certainty got us thru the rough and dark days...even now with my "spirit" in such disarray. Just being truthful...😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're human and it's hard sometimes. We just keep on keeping on as the saying goes but having strong faith is a big help. We all need work in so many ways.
      There are no atheists in the fox holes was a WWI saying and it is true.

      Delete
  2. Annie, your 'random' answer was so right on. Thank you for that. God is not an option we might want to choose to make us feel good to get us through tough times. Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, is a reality, a person, the Lord of the Universe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to South Carolina but I sure would like to...I love the South!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your answers to number to #5 & and your random thought! Beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing !
    Your answers to #5 and #6 were right on !
    Any ship needs a strong base to anchor to .
    We are often storm-tossed...Christ and God
    are our anchor and base .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your thoughts here, especially about teaching our children. I feel so sad when I hear what children are being taught today in our public schools, and even in our universities. I think if I were still raising children today I would truly have to home school them or place them in a Christian school if possible. Praying for you today. I hope you are feeling better...

    ReplyDelete
  7. psst...84* in NJ??? its only 64* here in western NY. (ducking so you don't hit me, lolol)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.