Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Another Look at Mary Petty's Art


Rainy days make me think of  The New Yorker Magazine  covers but I am not sure why or where that originated.
I have written about Mary Petty and her The New Yorker covers before.   And I've written about her final cover here as well.    A sad story to be sure.
But I prefer to celebrate her art because I admire it so very much and I am a great fan of the cover art on the New Yorker magazine in  general.
I would like to buy a few prints at Art.com and frame them. Its so good to have art around you, especially art you love. For me it is art that tells a story.
As a matter of fact I enjoy The New Yorker covers so much that my daughter bought me the complete set on DVD's that comes with a large coffee table sized book all about them. It's wonderful!
Mary's characters came to life on the cover of the New Yorker magazine with a series about the rich Mrs. Peabody and her life from young adulthood until her final days and the story of her adorable maid Fay, "half sylph and half butterfly" .
The first drawing is one of my favorites showing her conservatory on the brownstone in winter. It's a cozy look I think being inside tending your plants and watching the city go by.
Here are a few of the pictures this remarkable artist drew.



Happy New  Year


Phesant season


hailing a cab


This must be the Peabody's summer estate


 Fay downstairs polishing the silver

All sorts move n next door sometimes

Nobody..NOBODY..gives Mrs. P a ticket!

Ummm, warming the buns

not an easy job!

And then there are her humorous drawings:





6 comments:

  1. Giggling over the last one. I enjoyed these Annie, thank you...and I just adore your new header, smiles. Keeping you in prayer for Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My! I LOVE these! I thought they all were a bit humorous...and such an interesting look into life in the city back in the day. What era were these printed/painted? I can see why you'd enjoy these!! She must be a kind of Lady Norman Rockwell....from a different perspective...Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them Pamela. These were done from 1927 to 1966 when her last drawing appeared.
      She was born in 1899 and died 1976 from an assault.

      Delete
  3. I remember The New Yorker magazine as a teenager I loved going through them and always enjoyed Mary Petty's cover art. The other magazine was the Saturday Evening Post just to see Norman Rockwell's art covers. As an art major those were the only two I enjoyed. Loved seeing Mary's art covers here and learning more about her. Thank you for sharing my friend. Have a blessed evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your interests and these wonderful covers!
    They are a glimpse into another world and time.
    Have a splendid day,my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.