Saturday, December 30, 2017

Saturday 9

Hello on this very cold Saturday night!
It has been in the single digits and this morning we had snow.
Tonight was a good night for a dinner of fresh Atlantic Cod fish, parsley and buttered potatoes and green beans. Very yummy on a cold winter's night.
What about you?
And please, three rousing cheers for our commercial fishmen who brave this kind of weather to bring you good fish. Many of my neighbors are fisherman and are employed on boats of all kinds.  These are tough, hardy men.

I thought it would be nice to join with Terri for Saturday 9.
This one is about Barry Manilow's song "It's Just Another New Year's Eve"


1) In this song, Barry Manilow declares New Year's Eve is "just another night." How do you feel about 12/31? Is it a special occasion or just another night?
I love New Year's Eve quite a lot and always have though I find it bitter-sweet.Well, as a kid I would cry a bit for the end of the old year. Now I am not so emotional.
But I used to love Guy Lombardo when I was a very little girl and all the glitter and glam associated with New Year's Eve.
My mother would host an open house for those going out to parites.   There were hors d'oeuvres and champagne, turkey and roast beef for sandwiches on tiny bread, salads and ices and all manner of wonderful things to eat.  I adored the tiny cocktail sandwiches and the array of petit fours!
The flow of guests in and out was wonderful. Guy Lombardo played in the background and later Dick Clark, though the New Year's Rockin Eve always seemed so not right to me.
My absolute favorite part of New Year's Eve is fireworks from Funchal, Portugal
.No one and I do mean NO ONE does fireworks like the Portuguese!

2) Barry sings that in the past year, "we've made mistakes." What in 2017 do you wish you could do over?
Probably the whole year but not because it was so awful but just to perhaps do a better job here and there.  I would like to do many things over with a new and improved brain! I always think I can do better.


3) He also sings of happy nights with friends. Tell us about a really good time you had in the past year.
Party Time!!!
There were a lot of them but they all center on my little family.  Hosting a water gun fight party in the neighborhood for the Famous Anonymous and her high school friends was very special. They are a wonderful group of people all headed off to college/armed services this next year. God bless them.

4) The song references growing wiser, as well as older. What's something you learned or discovered in 2017?
That I am enough. (thank you  Lisa Romano)
That I need new friends and to get out more.

5)  What do you wish you had spent more time doing during 2017?

Praying/learning/going places

6)  What was the smartest thing you did all this past year?
Realizing that my thoughts  on ancient times are correct. 
Giants did populate the world, many so-called natural sites are not natural at all and the supposed fairy tales and myths of older cultures are actual rememberances of real history. 
The history taught is mostly propaganda and garbage.

7)  As this year comes to a close, what are you most grateful for?
I am not fond of trying to pinpoint one thing to be grateful for. There is too much.

8) When this week's featured artist, Barry Manilow, was a jingle writer, he wrote the famous "You deserve a break today at McDonald's" song. When's the last time you visited the Golden Arches?
I once used their bathroom, does that count?
I don't eat fast food.

  9) Random question: In high school, were you more popular with the boys or the girls?

  I think it was about equal.I had many good girl friends and I had boy friends  of the romantic kind and the plain pal  kind.
  Loved high school :)
"Panthers"


I will post the Funchal Madeira Portual fireworks here tomorrow night. Don't miss them as they are spectacular.
Until New Year's Eve, stay warm, stay happy and stay safe.

siggie given to me by Judy


8 comments:

  1. I adore your header, I always do... enjoyed your answers, my grandmother had Lawrence Welk playing in the background on New Years Eve, sigh, those were the days, not a care in the world, Annie. I remember dainty glasses of wine and tea sandwiches, that was when family came together. I'm Croatian, and grew drinking wine... Not alot, mind you.

    I had made a spiral ham yesterday and we are eating off of that, I made Mac & cheese and green beans with buttermilk biscuits tonight. I like fish, although with my anemia I cannot eat too much, wait, that should be back to semi normal soon-the anemia I mean. Thanks to the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lawrence Welk.. sigh. Such memories. We did things better in the old days I think.
      Your anemia will heal and its a good excuse to eat beef! I like liver so that keeps anemia at bay. You'll be feeling great soon.

      Delete
    2. {{{giggling}}} Blech on liver, I just cant swallow that.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Annie. I liked your reference to making new friends. I feel I've made a new blog friend in you and it has been my pleasure. I do always enjoy seeing your photos and reading your thoughtful posts. The fish dinner sounds absolutely wonderful and I know how much more grateful you were for the weather has been frightful in most places in NA. The fishermen have to be very hardy indeed.

    I always find the end of the year bittersweet. In my childhood household my parents took me out when I was 16 yo for a grownup night out. They said it was the last time we would have an evening out together because after that they wanted all of the children and the two of them to be together on New Year's Eve and ring in the new year together. Sadly that January my father died and it was never the same again. However my dear late mom also kept that promise and together we always stayed up until midnight watching the programming on television, kissing and hugging to greet the New Year, giving thanks for what had passed and looking forward with promise. Finally we made phone calls to loved ones far away or they made calls to us. We always had a nice dinner on NYD mostly just was family.

    I still keep this ritual of NYD to myself and dear close family members who are local. I wish you a fantastic New Year in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you celebrate the New Year. It is a time for family and closeness.
      I am so glad to have made new friends.It means so much.
      Happy New Year!!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year Annie! I hope to get back to blogging again. Enjoyed catching up here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a child,New Year's Eve was a grownup affair.The preparations were always exciting-whether the party was at home or somewhere else.Mother was an expert seamstress,so her outfits were gorgeous !When she was in high school,her brother was in design school.She would take his designs for her,create patterns and sew those outfits for her school dances and dance parties out.Imagine...always wearing designer clothes ! My parents loved to entertain,so they cooked together and made lovely parties...amazing people...much missed !
    May this New Year,and all those that follow,bring all of you good health,safety and great joy !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! I will have to look for those fireworks! I loved your answers...that was fun, and I agree with many of your thoughts. Looking forward to a wonderful New Year, getting to know you and our other friends here online better. This has been a good year. I have enjoyed this "space" and your smiling face!! God bless you...and see you next year!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.