Saturday, June 30, 2018

Saturday 9 .. Back in the USA

The Jersey shore has once again become A Summer Place with temperatures in the 80's and a gentle surf luring the tourists and snow birds back from Florida.

Doing the Saturday 9 again this week. Why not join in?

SATURDAY 9: BACK IN THE USA (1978)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1  This song lists seven cities -- New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Chattanooga, Baton Rouge and St. Louis -- that Linda just loves. How many have you visited?

New York City is the only one on the list I have visited.

2  The lyrics refer to hamburgers sizzling on the grill. What toppings do you believe make a perfect burger?
Fried onions, fried mushrooms, ketchup , mustard, mayonnaise, tomato.

3  The original recording of this song by Chuck Berry has always been one of Linda Ronstadt's favorites, one she used to enjoy singing along with in the car. What's the most recent song you sang?
"I am Titanium" by Sia .  
You see I AM titanium.. my spine is filled with it and  life has made sure I am.

4  Linda sang The National Anthem at Game 3 of the 1977 World Series. The New York Yankees won both that game and the series. How is your baseball team doing this season?
I don't follow professional sports all that closely. My baseball team is The Little's team and they are doing great!
 My mother was the family sports lover and she loved the Yankees. I think they are doing pretty well, but for that answer, ask Toni who is our resident Yankee authority!

Since this is our last Saturday 9 before Independence Day, let's ask some questions about the holiday.


5  During the Revolutionary War, General Washington celebrated the 4th of July by giving his troops a double ration of rum. Will you imbibe any spirits on Independence Day?

I never drink alcohol. I don't like it much and see no need for it  .  My drink of choice will be water, coffee, tea or iced tea. 

6  The first man to sign the Declaration of Independence, John Hancock, said he wrote his name so large King George could see it, even without his glasses. Do you require glasses for reading?

No. I am near sighted though and need glasses to see distance since I was a child. I wear them rarely. 

7  Since July 4 is a federal holiday, banks are closed and there's no mail delivery. Thanks to email and ATMs, Sam finds going without those services isn't a hardship. What about you? Will you find it inconvenient that banks and the USPS are closed on July 4?
No. It isn't a hardship at all anymore.

8  The first 4th of July parade each year is held at 12:01 AM in Gatlinberg, TN. Will you attend a parade or fireworks to celebrate the 4th?
I will sit on the beach  here and watch the fireworks from several communities at once.
Our community also has fireworks all summer long on Wednesday nights along with concerts at the athletic field. I can also see fireworks along the barrier island all summer long too.

9  More and more Americans celebrate our nation's holiday by eating foods from Italy and Germany. For the July 4, 2016 holiday, more than $50 million was spent on Italian sausage and bratwurst. What's on your 4th of July menu?

They eat foods from Italy and Germany because of the high number of Americans who are German or Italian in background.
There are more than 40 million Americans  who are of German decent in the USA making Germans the biggest ethnic group in  the USA. And even if you are something else, you probably have some German in your background as well. You can't escape it!
Germans make up a good percentage of South America and Canada and even Mexico too!
15 million Americans are of Italian decent. 
35 million are Irish.
25 million trace to England with millions more from Wales, Cornwall, Scotland,etc.
12 million are from Scandinavian nations.

If we have a picnic, not sure yet who will be available..sigh... it will include hot dogs and hamburgers, potato salad, New Jersey sugar sweet corn, New Jersey tomatoes(finest in the world because of our acidic soil), German cucumber salad and Italian meatballs and pasta. Iced tea, coffee and Wellesley Fudge Cake for dessert.
 See the Recipe on Rock & Roll Cafe.. my restaurant blog.

12 comments:

  1. How nice that you can watch all those fireworks, right from home. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fried onions can be really good. I like making them in my air fryer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm coming over there for fireworks, smiles. I enjoyed the meme, Annie. Hey, it's a whopping 99° here today in western NY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Jersey used to be called The Garden State, for good reason. Hail Tomatoes!
    I have a titanium wrist and knee. Hail Fellow Metallica!
    One whole side of my family has no German whatsoever, but my maternal grandfather and his sisters spoke an arcane form of German that my linguist father couldn't understand, completely. The quest to find out what it was has been an off and on passion of mine.
    Happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be wonderful to sit by the beach at night and watch fireworks from several different communities. I settle for watching them from my window. Loved your answers especially #9 as I learned something new and always do from you Annie. :) Have a blessed evening my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May I come eat with you? That sounds so good. We still don't know what our plans are for the holiday, if any...Normally we host the big gathering, but since it is in the middle of the week and people are busy (and have to travel too far to our house), it doesn't seem to be happening. So...we may have a quiet holiday here. Usually someone in the neighborhood does some fireworks that we can hear and sometimes can see if we go outside and stretch our necks to look above all the trees.... BTW, Both my husband and I are German and Scotch Irish, with a little native American Indian thrown in for variety. (Hubby: Cherokee, Me: Pawnee (according to a legend that has not been totally proven). My husband's father's family was from Newark, NJ, and his great grandfather spoke German. My father's father's family was from Utica, NY, and my great-grandfather could also speak German. Both my hubby's mother and my mother were Scotch-Irish...and they only spoke English... :) What is German cucumber salad? I will check your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, come on over for the 4th.
      Everyone is German and I think tons of Americans are part American Indian. My great grandmother was Iroquois (Mohawk).
      I will put up the recipe for you on here. I never put it on Rock & Roll and I should.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed reading all your answers to the various questions. I'm very envious that you can sit in the comfort of your home and watch not one but multiple fireworks displays. That is simply incredible! Have a wonderful Sunday and a wonderful week ahead Annie. P.S. I took the nerd test and my result was "Dorky Non-Nerd", LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fun questions !
    Your menu sounds sooo good...getting hungry just reading it...
    Wellesley Chocolate Cake ? My all time favorite...try to make it for my birthday each year !
    Have a splendid day , my friend !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Annie,I am going to our community parade that goes down Main street which is 2 blocks from us. My grand daughter's cheer team will be in it. Not sure what else we are doing. We can see some of the fireworks that the city will show later at a park nearby. I was at Disneyland on Saturday and enjoyed the fireworks. I plan to go back Tues. 3 of my grandparents were born in Mexico and came here in the early 1900's. The did become citizens. My mom's mom was born here and most of the family was fair skinned. My grandma and mom had green eyes. My great grandma did too. My grandma had 2 brothers with blue eyes and red hair. I look more like my dad. Love your new header! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.