Saturday, December 1, 2018

December , A Rant and Saturday 9




Hello, friends!
 Welcome to December.
What a great month December is. It is one of the most holiday rich months, the weather is wonderfully crisp and chilly which can refresh the spirit and make you feel good to be alive.
Warm, soft clothing, hot drinks, soups and fresh hot breads are pure and simple winter fare that speaks of home and comfort.
May we be blessed with a happy December!

As an aside and bit of a rant:
I look very young for my age. Far younger than I am and I hear it all the time from people who think my grands are my kids. It is not the blessing you may imagine.
I had 2 kids by the time I was 20. Yes, that is young. My daughter also had her first baby at 19. Its not unusual in our family. 
 So I was married young and looked even younger.  When my kids were 2 and 3 years old, people would imply that I must have gotten married at age 14 since I didn't look much older than that. The implication was that I "had to get married". Nope. I did not.
 Let me tell you.. it's darn embarrassing. When I would introduce my son, when he was a teen at the time, people would look at me funny.    It isn't a compliment.. you just can imagine what they are thinking.
It made me upset that people  judge by looks and disbelieve you when you tell the truth. It can be nice to hear sometimes, but other times.. Nope.
When my son in law took me to the doctor last year they thought he was my husband. When I said I was his mother in law there were shocked.  "You don't look more than 35 or 38  , the nurse said. "Yes," the doctor said, "its genetic". They actually have a name for it but I don't remember what he said.
I am constantly mistaken as being my grandchildren's Mom.
When I had my surgery the Famous Anonymous played along calling me "Mom" and giggling.  Trust me, it makes me feel funny and I hear it weekly from someone.  I watch the Little, who is 10 now and people always think she is my daughter. They stare when I say no, I am her Grandmother.
I mention this because it happened again tonight when someone said to my daughter, "This is your mother?? Oh, get out of here. Are you really? Oh, wow. "
Folks, it hurt my daughters feelings because the women said we looked comparable in age..  Thats not a compliment to  my sweet little girl.  I get this time and again.
Now, my daughter laughed, but I could see the hurt in her eyes.. I know her very well. No one wants their baby to feel bad .
Be glad if you look your age. Its probably much better.

Now let's do Saturday 9.

                      Call Me (1966)


Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.



1) Chris Montez sings that you can always call him, regardless of the hour. Do you believe that it's ever too late to phone someone?

Yes, unless it is an emergency.  It can be rude and thoughtless to wake someone or bother them too early or too late or during dinner time or work time.

2) He insists that you can depend on him, even when your friends desert you. Who is someone you can trust to have your back, no matter what?

God, hands down. People are weak and can let you down not because they are bad but because sometimes they are afraid or just unavailable. God has no bad days and no fear and is the only one who will always have your back no matter what.

3) Billy Crystal serenades Meg Ryan -- via answering machine -- with "Call Me" in When Harry Met Sally. Answering machines have been replaced by voice mail. Who most recently left you a voice mail?
The trauma center hospital where I had surgery on November 8th.
They want me to take a survey. It is an absolutely HUGE hospital that does trauma surgery etc. A state of the art hospital really.

4) Chris Montez is a graduate of El Camino College in Torrance, California. The average daytime temperature in November in Torrance is 70º. How is the weather where you are today?

The temperature is in the high 30's, low 40's.  A storm is supposedly coming. Winter in the northeast is chilly and often downright frigid. I love it :)

5) Today Chris actively promotes a healthy lifestyle to children. He was honored for his efforts by the group SOPA (Stop Obesity, Promote Activity). Do you believe you get enough exercise?
   
No, as I am 85% disabled. But I do my exercises and walk and shop. I can shop til I drop. I do okay over all but I could use more exercise. You would never know I am disabled by looking at me, however.

6) Released in late 1965, "Call Me" became a big hit in 1966, reaching #2 on the charts. Even though it sold millions of copies and was certified as a Gold Record, it never hit #1. Is winning, or being the best, important to you?

Of course and it should be to everyone. We should each improve and be made better, and that should be a goal for people. Every time we overcome something holding us back we win. We should not, however, try to best others, but try to best ourselves and judge ourselves according to what God expects from us.

7) In 1966, when this was playing on Juke boxes, kids were watching Batman and Star Trek. If you had your choice of watching an episode right now, which would you choose: Star Trek or Batman?
Star Trek. The 1960s Batman plays on TV sometimes but it is pretty silly.
I did like the 1990s Batman cartoon on TV though.

8) Also in 1966, celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay was born. Do you enjoy cooking?
No.  But I am a good cook none the less.

9) Random question -- You have the opportunity to perform in the circus! Would you rather be shot from a cannon, or put your head in the lion's mouth?

Neither.  I will opt to ride a pony around the ring instead.

See you tomorrow for Sunday Stealing. I hope your day is bright and happy.


8 comments:

  1. I can understand your feelings about your age. Believe it or not most people would never guess mine either. My daughter, siblings and my mother went through the same thing also. Just think you can ride a pony around the rink and I would be the Ring Master introducing you. LOL! Have a day of blessings dear Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy your artwork !
    The light you capture is just lovely...thank you !
    As to the rant , I,too, follow my mother , and her mother , in not appearing our chronological age .
    Mom and Nana each passed at 86 , looking like 60-something !
    It can be a two-edged sword , indeed . At work , more can be expected of me than I can physically perform . On the other hand , folks can be surprised I am familiar with "Old Fashioned" tasks and memories .
    The best we can do is to be sensitive to the needs and feelings of others and be kind .
    Be well , my friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get what you were ranting about. Up until the last couple of years everyone always thought I was younger than I was. I think what age looks like is changing. I remember my grandmother looking like a little old lady for my whole life and she was only in her 40's when I was born! Now we see lots of women in their 60's, 70's, and beyond who don't fit that little old lady image one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie! People think I am Josh's sister, it happens all of the time. It doesn't bother him at all. He thinks it is funny. I was 27 when I had him, so not close in age at all. I understand your frustration though, especially if it hurts your daughter's feelings. Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. My students never believe me when I tell them my age (I am older than their parents) and it amuses me because the teen concept of age is so skewed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The age thing can be embarrassing. My two stepsons could not be my natural children. My hubby is 14 years older than me, but I have fun with it rather than let it get to me. Of course, it makes me older, not younger than I look. You are actually blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Annie, I think coloring my hair helps me look younger. I am told I look younger than 63. I was married at 18, turned 19 two days later. I had my first child at age 26. Hawaii was great except for the mosquitoes! It is good to be home and finish decorating for Christmas. I will be making a new web page for it because my grands love to see my pages. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked your rant. It was truthful and straightforward and you were more upset about your daughter thinking she looked older than she is than your looking younger.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.