Monday, January 7, 2019

My Very First...

An icy, rainy Monday night but I am cozy in my little house by the bay.
It was sunny earlier but by 3 o'clock this afternoon the skies darkened and by 5 sleet and ice were falling.
I spent my afternoon goofing off and looking for Tickled Pink dinnerware by Metlox Vernonware of California. I have cups and saucers for this wonderful old 1950's set but I really would love to have a whole set of the dinnerware. Well, I think I would.
I am also looking at other sets, so we will see what, if anything, comes of it.  I would enjoy having an old fashioned kitchen with old sink and drainboard built in,etc.
 

If you didn't know, I am a big fan of 1950's decor and design with a love of Bark cloth drapes, atomic and boomerang patterns and just the 50's in general. I don't limit my love to just that short era either. I also love the styles of the 20s-40's and my favorite drapery style is drapes over top of Priscilla curtains.
Sheer Priscilla curtains and drapes
I really love this window treatment... long or sill length..either one thrills me.

 If I could I would do my kitchen in  an antique style and really would love to put in an old stove. They just last forever.
My blender is my mother's and was bought new by her in 1960 something. It still works.
I also have her hand mixer from when I was little and it recently began to pass away.. sniffle.But, its over 45 years old!

click to join




Today I am participating in Toni's Tuesday 4 Meme..
Thanks Toni.. I really enjoy memes!

                              Your Very First

1.   What was your very first job?

I worked in the  local  5 & 10 store. I was 14 years old and had to have working papers.  Their old cash register did not add up for you. All the math was done mentally and I got very good at adding long columns of numbers in my head.

2.   What was your very first car?
It was my fiance's car which I drove while he was in California at school. It was a 1968(?) AMX  but, technically my first car was after we got married and I had a Ford pickup truck. I had to have it because we had horses and a 4 horse trailer.  

3.   When was your very first ride on an airplane, boat or train?

1.First train ride was when I was probably about 4 years old into Elizabeth, NJ to go to Woolworth's with my Grandpa.  We rode the trains all the time and went to see them arrive and depart at our local station all the time.  That is why I am a train fanatic.
2.My first plane was a Prop 4 seater  which I flew in from Athens, Ohio to Linden, NJ with a student pilot and teacher. He had to stall the plane in mid air. I threw up a lot but didn't stop me from flying with them!
3.First boat was a PT boat at Brooklyn Naval Yard.

4.   Who was your very first best friend & do you still talk?

 Patty C. from across the street.  I haven't spoken to her since I was in the 5th grade. Not sure we were best friends, but she was one of the earliest friends I had and played with a lot.
The very first friend I ever had was Francine L. but they moved to Philadelphia early on.
I haven't spoken to either one since I was a kid.


8 comments:

  1. Hi Annie, I absolutely love this post!! So fun! Have a great week!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun questions and I enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Annie, I too worked in a 5 & 10. And I had 2 horses. One was a horse from the New York City Police and the other came from the circus. They were beautiful the NYC was 7 hands high and the circus horse was 6 hands high. The circus horse was definitely a trick horse for she would hold down the electric fence with her knee and the stallion would jump over the fence and they would wonder through Germantown on other properties. We would constantly get calls from the Sheriff with complaints. We finally had to give them away as both my ex and I worked. My daughter was young and both she and my ex would ride them all the time. Boy that was a forgotten memory LOL! It was about 40-45 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love 'old-fashion' décor and have a lot of it my home. It makes me feel good. WoW, you are a pilot, that's great. I've flown only a few times. Hope you find the dishes you're looking for!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a pilot.. just flew with pilots and their students. They took on passengers to help with cost of fuel etc.

      Delete
  5. I love the 1950's décor too...my bedroom had those curtains growing up. smiles

    Enjoyed your answers, hope you have a lovely day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the decor you posted! It is just beautiful! I like older house with nice architecture too. My house is nothing special, but I wish I had a house with all of that.
    It is funny how friends come and go in and out of our lives. I am thankful for them all. Loved your answers! Happy Tuesday!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother had priscilla curtains in the "Florida room" and the dining room. Her drapes were panels of fabric that matched the wallpaper, and they hung at the sides. I think there was also a valance at the top. But where we lived we never had to close those drapes. She did have drapes that closed in the living room, but I believe there were sheers behind them too, oh and also in the front bedroom...yes, I love old fashioned decor, but our current home doesn't really lend itself to that style. I do love the 50's, since I am a child born in 1950. I had my grandmother's hamilton beach mixer for years and years. I think it was from the late 40's. I still have the white bowls that came with it, but the mixer finally died. I love vintage style dishes, and have started a little collection...but am thinking I may eliminate some things that do not have any sentimental value when we move. I have to cut somewhere... I love trains too. But haven't really ridden very often. My father collected toy trains, so that is where my love comes from. I am still in touch with my best friends from childhood. We just had our class 50th reunion this past fall. Many of us grew up together and were in the same school grades 1-12, and so we have tried to stay in touch even though we have moved many times since then. We now live about an hour away. I always wanted an old cookstove. If I ever get my dream cabin, I may have one yet. (but that is doubtful...a wood cookstove in Florida wouldn't be very practical). Loved visiting here today. That was fun.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.