Saturday, May 28, 2022

America the Beautiful

Happy Saturday friends and welcome.
Time again for Sam's Saturday 9.   
Unfamiliar with Barbra Streisand's recording of this tune? Hear it  HERE  

I  listened to Barbra sing it and wasn't thrilled with it. She was even slightly off key.. never heard that before. on it.  So I am posting the Mormon Tabernacle Choir since they never butcher anything!   (well what do you expect? I lived in Utah for a huge portion of my life)

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. 

 1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. War memorials, as well as graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers this weekend in a show appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?
There is one in my hometown, not sure about here in my town now.

2) Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served -- veterans and active military -- as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your family, worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them.
My mother's family served in the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, WW2 etc.   I have a lot of veteran relatives.

3) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you packed away your winter clothes yet?
I don't pack them away since I live in a tiny cardboard box of a cottage and have no place to put them other than my closet.
4) What's your favorite picnic food?
Potato salad which I could eat by the gallon.    I like it with mayo and a dash of Balsamic Vinegar in it too. 


5) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling your room?
   No. It's too cool out for that.         It is 63°.F

Katharine L. Bates

6) Lyricist Katharine L. Bates said she was inspired to write "America, the Beautiful" after a trip to Pike's Peak. What's the most beautiful spot in America that you have ever visited?
All of it. Every single bit of it.

7) Though we're talking summer this morning, Santa is going to get a shoutout. Before "America, the Beautiful" was published, Katharine L. Bates wrote a poem called, "Goody Santa Claus on a Sleigh" which is remembered for introducing Santa's wife, Mrs. Claus. Share a fond memory of the 2021 holiday season.
Christmas Eve is always the best for our family. It was great this year too.

8) This week's featured artist, Barbra Streisand, sang "America, the Beautiful" during a benefit concert. She admitted to James Corden that she suffers from stage fright and before she performs, she prays, "Let go, let God." What's something that scares you, but that you do anyway?
Not really sure.

9) Question for a weekend when many of us will sleep in: Are you a morning person?
No, I don't feel well if I don't sleep 10 or so hours and I don't like sleeping too early in the evening either.




9 comments:

  1. you can never go wrong with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. They do sing everything perfectly! But I can't imagine Barbra S. being off key. I will have to go find that and listen to it. I've always enjoyed her singing. I don't pack away my winter clothes either, but I do move them to the far end of the closet and put the summer clothes right where I can see them and reach them. Of course, winter clothes here in Florida are mostly long sleeved shirts and a few sweaters. I rarely need my heavy winter coat anymore and am not sure why I keep it...I guess in case we decide to take a trip north in the winter, which is probably quite unlikely anymore. I donated my long winter coat to our church yard sale, but no one would buy it. Not sure what happened to it. The last time I saw it it was still hanging in the thrift store. It was a nice coat. Someone up north could use it I'm sure. Anyway, I hope you have a blessed and peaceful Memorial Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually like her too, just not this time. My closet is the itty bitty very old fashioned variety.

      Delete
  2. I love the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Right now, my winter clothes are in storage, no need for them anyways, since it has been near 100 and we now live in the Sunshine State, grin. Hope you have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My maternal great great grandfather fought in the Civil War. I have the sewing kit he carried. My father was in the Air Force, my oldest son in the Navy. Most of my clothing is year 'round but I do have a few wintery things I've packed away. The U.S. has so many beautiful places! I've been to many but I think the most memorable has been Niagara Falls and the beautiful Smoky Mountains. Today's temps are very nice and I've been able to turn off the air and open the windows. Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Niagara and Smokies.. I love the Rockies and the Wasatch too. I just love how gorgeous America is from sea to shining sea!

      Delete
  4. I do not pack my clothes away either. Our house is pretty small, but we have a huge closet, so I just leave everything in there and separate my clothes by top is winter and bottom is summer. Then I have a section of dress clothes.
    I think the country is beautiful also. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Choir is fantastic !!!
    What a treat to listen to them !
    My seasonal clothes are separated in drawers (tops and PJs)...the sweaters always live up on the shelf - accessible when needed , but not in the way .
    Have a terrific weekend...hoping for some of that potato salad !!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.