Saturday, June 10, 2023

Big Spender?

Today the smell of smoke is lessened but things are still hazy and yellowish. Canada and 2 forest fires here are not good for anyone. I am joining in for Saturday 9.
"Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!"

Saturday 9: Big Spender (1966)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune?    Hear it here.
 
1) In this song, Peggy Lee invites a gentleman to join her for fun, laughs, and a good time. What will you be doing for fun this weekend?
 Nothing.   

2) Peggy was blessed with perfect pitch. It's estimated that just 1 in 10,000 has this gift. Tell us about something that comes naturally to you. 
Used to be good at  playing all kinds of sports and activities.
 
3) Peggy was an influential performer whose fans included singers as diverse as Carly Simon, Petula Clark, and Joni Mitchell. Bette Midler even did a Peggy Lee tribute album. What songstress do you listen to most often?
I don't listen to many female singers at all.   But Gretchen Wilson and Bianca Ryan are good.
 
4) Paul McCartney was also a big Peggy Lee fan. In the 1970s he was invited to meet her in her London home. He arrived with a carefully chosen hostess gift: a bottle of champagne and an original song ("Let's Love") which she recorded and he produced. Have you more recently given or received a gift?
Neither one for a long while now.

5) Cy Coleman wrote the music to "Big Spender." Unlike Peggy Lee, who never took a music lesson, Coleman was classically trained and studied composition, conducting, and orchestration at New York City’s High School for the Performing Arts and at the New York College of Music. If you could take classes in anything that interested you, what would you choose to learn more about?
I do take classes.  I study theology and I began anthropology at 18 and I am still learning more.

6) Coleman met lyricist Dorothy Fields by chance, at a party. Though Fields was more than 20 years his senior, they hit it off immediately and he invited her to work with him. Their collaboration resulted in two Broadway shows including Sweet Charity, which featured "Big Spender." Think about the person you spent the most time with last week. Were they older, younger or about the same age as you?
 Younger... my daughter.
7) In 1966, when disc jockeys were playing this record, consumers were discovering garage door openers. These transistorized devices weren't cheap. Typically about $150 in 1966, that would be more than $1,000 in today's dollars. These days garage door openers are far more affordable and common. Can you think of something that was a luxury item when you were a kid that today you take for granted?
Nope.  I can't.   I guess long distance calls which when I was a kid were super expensive.

8) 1966 found Jacqueline Susann atop the best seller list with her steamy novel, Valley of the Dolls. Though it was savaged by critics, countless Americans enjoyed the book. Do you have a similar guilty pleasure? Is there a book, movie, TV show or song you enjoy, even though you know it has little artistic merit?
Most rock and roll has very little artistic merit... Most TV is the same and ditto for movies.  I enjoy them all.

9) Random question: When at a Mexican restaurant, what's your go-to order?
Fajitas, Flautas , burritos, tacos.   If its a real restaurant though, Fish Vera Cruz.. but I make it myself really nicely.

7 comments:

  1. #1 Ditto. I just had a new kitchen installed so my fun this weekend is where to put everything back in the new cupboards and maybe making Fajitas that Songbird mentioned on the new stove.
    #3 I am at an age where good company is better than gifts on my birthday.
    #7 Oh yeah, it was a toll call to call high school friends in town, we were in two calling districts and half of the class was a toll call… 10 cents a minute! And high school friends were know for talking a lot and my mother used to go ballistic over a 5 dollar phone call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New kitchen!!! (can you hear the envy in my voice). I hope you have many years of enjoyment from it.

      Delete
    2. Glad I inspired you, I’m loving everyone’s choices for Mexican food,

      Delete
  2. When my mother eloped, she called her parents and asked for herself so they would know she was ok without anyone having to pay for a call. I suspect that happened a lot back then (early 1960s).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Tacos, Flautas, Fajitos...not so much fish tacos, LOL. Have a great day friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish Vera Cruz is a casserole and is very very good! I have the recipe on my rock & Roll blog

      Delete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.