z Cottage by the Sea : End of Summer

Sunday, September 29, 2024

End of Summer

This post was written on my original blog back in 2016.... After hurricane Sandy, the island was nearly demolished and had to be rebuilt.  It took years but as of a couple years ago, it is open once again. It is within walking distance of my home.

the gazebo in my neighborhood
Summer is passing and autumn is on its way, but the lazy days of summer linger here at the shore on into October most years.
The only thing that tells you that autumn is on its way is a chill in the morning air and a faint bite in the fresh breezes that blow. 
Oh, and the fact that tourists are leaving now and the place is emptying out.
Early in the morning I like to take my tea and sit in the shade of the trees by the bay. You can hear the little waves slapping the shore and hear the rustling leaves as the breeze blows across the water from the barrier island. It fills you up with all kinds of calm. 
The salt air clears your head . You feel good to be alive.
Swans skid to a floating stop on the water ahead of me and sail majestically along the shoreline bobbing their heads down under the emerald water for a little snack every now and again. 
Seagulls play in an updraft and a couple of Mallards to the right of me, argue about where to spend the winter months.
The ladies start to arrive with the kiddies about then disturbing the silence as they head like porters in a Safari to the beach with the toddlers in tow. I call them porters since they shlep along some world class paraphernalia ....beach blankets, umbrella, beach bags packed with sun screens, baby hats, sun glasses, powder to wipe sand off, towels and the cooler packed with sippy drinks, fruits, cookies and sandwiches.

The beach is nice here. Small, quiet, protected all summer, shallow and roped off. 
There is even a nice twin shower to wash off the salt water afterwards.

Once school begins the visits will have to be after school to play on the swings.
Over on the pier the old men are crabbing both in the water and out ..
Mostly Italian, the old gentlemen sit on the pier dangling their crab traps and talking about gardens, politics and what it was like back 'then'....... 
Some play chess , silently contemplating each move.
Older women sit in the gazebos staring out to sea and talking in between laps around the island course to keep in shape. Their bright white walking shoes make their tanned skin pop.
As I pick myself up from the sand to make my own lap once around, I can see their work worn hands resting on the table under the gazebo and I think of years of loving service to friend and family.
They are talking of plans for family dinners...yet more love, yet more service.  


2 comments:

  1. Just reading this left me both calm and focused, Annie. I needed that sense of peace so very much today as so many are reeling from the recent devastation Helene has caused. May God comfort those people!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.