Saturday, May 23, 2020

Battle Hymn

Cool weather is making May very nice for me so far. May it continue all summer long. If it never got above 65 I would be one happy camper.
Just a little of May left but I hope to make the most of it if I can!
 Today ... my answers for Saturday 9

"Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!"

  Battle Hymn of the Republic (1963)

Unfamiliar with Judy Garland's rendition of this week's tune? Hear it here.
 Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.

1) On May 30, 1868, President Grant presided over the Memorial Day observance at Arlington National Cemetery. Have you ever visited Arlington Cemetery?
I believe I have, but it was as a child.  I would like to visit the grave of President Kennedy.

2) On Memorial Day, it is customary to fly the flag at half-staff until noon and then raise it to the top of the staff until sunset. Will you be flying the flag at your home this weekend?
Yes. It's a good thing to do.

3) Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day, because flowers and ribbons were left on graves of soldiers.  Do you find solace in visiting cemeteries?
No. I really do not visit because there is no one there, just dust.

4) The lyrics to this week's song were written by Julia Ward Howe in 1861. Her inspiration was a White House visit with Abraham Lincoln. In 2020, under normal circumstances, public tours of the White House are available but you must request your ticket in advance from your Member of Congress (House or Senate). When you travel, do you plan your trip weeks before you go? Or do you decide how your days will unfold once you reach your destination?
When I traveled, I did plan ahead.

5) Judy Garland performed this week's song before a live audience as a tribute to President Kennedy, who had been assassinated just weeks before. She knew Kennedy personally and considered this a farewell to a friend. While the performance was difficult for her -- at one point she flubs the lyrics -- she believed it was important, and could perhaps help the country heal. Tell us about a song that reminds you of someone you loved who is no longer with us.
The Welsh lullaby All Through the Night or Ar Hyd y Nos in Welsh
6) John F. Kennedy served in WWII and was awarded a Navy and Marine Corps medal and a Purple Heart. His brother Joe also served and was awarded the Navy Cross, but he received his citation posthumously, having died during a flying mission over East Suffolk, England. Here at Saturday 9, we consider everyone who serves a hero and want to hear about the veterans and active military members in your life.
My family have served in all wars including the Revolutionary War in 1776.

7) Memorial Day is considered the beginning of the summer season. Will you be enjoying warm weather this weekend?
I hope not.  Weather says no.. 50s and maybe 60 by  Sunday, which is plenty hot enough for me.

8) Berries are especially popular in summer. Which is your favorite: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries?
Blackberries of those named but I can do without any berries really.

9) If you could attend a Memorial Day picnic with any fictional character, which would you choose?
Spenser.

8 comments:

  1. All the way back to the Revolutionary War, how cool! My grand daughter is learning about that now. She gets to watch these animated videos on Google for school. I watched some with her too. Then I showed her some pictures from my day in MA while on the my cruise back in 2008. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would bump that temperature up just a bit. If there was a land that was always sunny and 75 degrees I would be one happy camper!
    Well, a big thanks to all of your family for their service. I would imagine some of my ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War as we've been here since the Mayflower came over, but no one that I know of has researched it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWOWOWOWOW on all the way back to the Revolutionary War--it always impresses me. Thank you Ann for your family's service.

    The last few days have been very warm and humid. It was so oppressively hot in the house last night (82*), the guys got up at 4 am and put the ac's in. The temp might only say 62* right now, but the humidity is 94*.

    Anyways, have a beautiful weekend, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love 65* weather all year long, that would be wonderful! My youngest brother served three tours of duty in Viet Nam, he has also overcome many sorrows in his life, he is a real hero. My mother's cousin, who was like a brother to her, went down with his ship during WWII, his body was never recovered, very sad. A big thank you for all your family that served in all the wars, they too are heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, detest hot wather but a bit warmer than you.. I love 75 degrees.. MY bones and joints warrant that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spenser as in Spenser for Hire the detective? Or is there another Spenser?

    ReplyDelete
  7. May we long remember all those who have stood up for their principles , making a strong statement for our good and encouraging us to do the same .

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.