Friday, March 1, 2024

I Certainly Do Blame the Bossa Nova.



Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


Saturday 9: Blame It on the Bossa Nova (1963)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song tells the story of a girl who found love at a dance. Share a happy memory from a party, prom or dance you attended.
 I enjoyed all the dances and Proms I went to. I especially enjoyed a military ball I went to with my boyfriend.  I don't recall anything really out of the ordinary .
2) This record was a big hit for Eydie Gorme, which surprised her. When she first heard the song, she disliked it and had to be convinced to her record it. Tell us about a pleasant surprise you had recently.
 Besides my bathroom being fixed up, the broken sprayer in the kitchen just started working again.

3) "Blame It on the Bossa Nova" is about love at first sight on the dance floor. Eydie's husband Steve Lawrence maintained he fell in love with her the first time he heard her sing. Have you ever felt a sudden, powerful attraction to someone? If yes, did you act on it?
No, I have not felt that.
4) While this was a solo success for Eydie, she was also known for recording and performing with Steve Lawrence. He was just 22 and she was 29 when they married. Eydie admitted she was self-conscious about the difference in their ages. Do you think age matters in a romantic relationship?
It depends on the people. Some can handle it, some won't.
5) Eydie was fluent in Spanish, which enabled her to pay for her classes at City College by working as an interpreter. Tell us about one of your early jobs.
 I worked in a little 5 & 10cent store.  I enjoyed it a lot.
6) In 1963, when this song was popular, The Rambler was Motor Trend's car of the year. It was a 9-passenger station wagon, perfect for families. What do you remember about your childhood family car?
It was new every 2 years since my uncle was a vice president for Ford and we got cars for cost.  
7) Also in 1963, President Kennedy made a state trip to Ireland. Have you visited the land of your ancestors?
No.
8) The pilot for Gilligan's Island was filmed in 1963. Were you a fan of the show?
It was okay but no, not a real fan.
9) Random question: Crunchy, smooth or organic peanut butter?
Smooth or crunchy but Peter Pan only.

6 comments:

  1. I have tasted Peter Pan and like it, but I'm stuck on Skippy creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was fortunate and got to attend two Proms before graduation in 1974. There was a Junior-Senior Prom in '73, then our Senior Prom in '74. I had a different date for each one.
    Sorry to hear another thing broke in the house! If it's not one thing it's two others, right? Sometimes being a home owner is more trouble than it's worth.
    Blessings. 💙

    ReplyDelete
  3. We only eat Peter Pan here, too. A new car every 2 years! Mine get changed out every 10-15 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The military ball sounds fun. Did you take pictures? Glad things are coming along for you with the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no photos of it. I wish I did have some. I have prom photos though. I should dig them out.

      Delete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.