Monday, March 18, 2019

Monday....

Hello, Friends!
We had a wonderful time last night having a friends and family meal. Any holiday is a good excuse to
have people over to share food and a good time,as far as I am concerned.
We had cottage pie and colcannon and cupcakes for dessert. Everyone loved the food and over ate!
 Cottage pie is ground beef , celery, onion and gravy made from beef stock,  a tablespoon of tomato paste and  one of Worcestershire sauce . Some add carrot as well. You cook that and then top it with mashed potato and cheese, I use dairy free cheddar  and bake for about half an hour until the potatoes are brown and crisp on top and cheese nicely crisp and melted.
I will put the recipe on my Rock & Roll Cafe blog.
Colcannon is the Irish version of Bubble and Squeak. It is mashed potatoes mixed with cabbage. People thought they wouldn't  like it until they tried  it and none was left over! I will also work on posting that recipe as well.



The weather has been very sunny with few clouds and though chilly, it does seem that spring is on the way.  The equinox is March 21st.


fool proof !



I am busy today making wasp and hornet nest deterrents. And here is the link where I showed you how to do that a while ago.  Yes, they work 100% and you will not have wasp or hornet nests near your home if you hang them where you do not want those critters to be!

What are you up to today?




4 comments:

  1. Oh, that Cottage Pie sounds good...we call that Shepherd's Pie...or at least it is very similar. Your colcannon is also interesting. I alway mix cooked cabbage with mashed potatoes whenever I happen to have both. Love that combination. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with family. Love hearing about it. I wonder if those hornet deterrents would also work for the carpenter bees that bore holes in our wood porch? I may have to try that. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shepherd's pie is with lamb. Cottage pie is with beef :). If you ask for shepherds pie in Britain you will get lamb always.
      If Carpenter bees make nests similar to hornets and wasps then give it a try :)

      Delete
  2. Your Cottage Pie sounds delicious Annie (I would minus carrots LOL). It's a lot like Shepherd's Pie isn't it. It's always nice to celebrate holidays with loving family and friends. I enjoyed reading about it. Have a blessed day ahead my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shepherds Pie and cottage pie differ only with the kind of meat you use. We had a great time laughing and fooling around and eating!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.