Thursday, July 11, 2019

Thankful

Mood:


Weather: Sunny


Thankful Thursday... and what am I thankful for?
click the pix to join in.
There are several things this week:
1. Lovely violet syrup. It is wonderful on pancakes, muffins, whatever you like.
Here is a recipe for it from a post I did over 10 years ago now.




Recipe for Violet Syrup

You will love this syrup. Its good on cakes, pancakes, in carbonated water, for flavoring.. just about anything.
Violets are one of my favorite flowers.
Here is what you will need:

4 c Violets; freshly picked
-unsprayed (NOT African Violets!!)
2 c -Boiling water
6 c Sugar
1 Lemon; juice of
2 c -Water

Now pick the petals off and place them in a deep bowl. Cover them with the boiling water, weight them down with a heavy plate and keep at room temperature for about 24 hours. Don't uncover them til then, you don't want a draft to touch them.
After that, put the water and petals into a strainer or colander and squeeze the juice through into another bowl or saucepan.
Discard the violets.
Place the sugar, lemon juice and the water into a saucepan and boil down into a thick syrup. Now add the violet infused water and bring to a good hard rolling boil and keep it going for 10 minutes.
Pour it into sterile bottles and let it cool down, then seal the bottles and refrigerate them.
You can serve it on pancakes or over crushed ice or in ice cold soda water.

Caution though: if you have allergies to flowers you might wish to pass this up. Some people do have allergy to violets.
By the way, this recipe works with clean fragrant rose petals and edible carnations too.

 2.  I am thankful for prayer and that God listens, hears and helps.

3. To live in a pretty town by the sea.

  click photo to see full size.

Tomorrow is Skywatch Friday..

6 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Violet Syrup! Would love to try it sometime, thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of violet syrup! Interesting, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. I too never heard of violet syrup. I do always love to see your beautiful coastline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie, I have never heard of this. I do grow roses and use essential oils for insects.
    my comment board at my site is not working anymore. So I wrote something out at Blogger.
    I know we are keeping Toni in prayer. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your syrup recipe sounds lovely !
    Mother used to have a huge bed of violets in the back yard...I brought some here , but nowhere near enough for four cups...sigh...
    I do enjoy your posts and the replies of your friends...so nice to visit here !
    Have a splendid day , my friend !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annie, my comment book never left, it was my FF settings! I hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.