Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Medley on Wednesday
With Haiku

Hello and Happy October.
 Temperatures are up and down now as if October can't decide how she feels about things.
Sometimes it is hard to define feelings, so I sympathize with her.
Today I am going to try joining in for Wednesday medley. It used to be Wednesday Haiku here as I  have loved haiku since I was a very young girl.    For some reason I got diverted from posting it here.    I will include some at the bottom of this post though and probably change the day for it and give it another try.

Here is this week's Wednesday Medley which has been taken on by Katsumi. 
You can join in  here.

Jesse Stone


1. The first week of October is National Mystery Series Week. Do you sleuth alongside Nancy Drew or Miss Marple? Fan of Nero Wolfe?


Lord Peter Wimsey
I liked the Nancy Drew game for
computer, but I am a fan of Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, Tuppence and Tommy, all of Agatha Christie's characters.
But I also  really enjoy all of Robert Parker and Ace Atkins !
The Spenser series and the Jesse Stone series of novels by Robert Parker are wonderful I think.
 Father Brown mysteries are good as well.

Miss Phryne Fisher (fry-knee.. Greek goddess)

  I also really enjoy the BBC versions of Lord Peter Wimsey and was a great fan of  Miss Fischer's Murder Mysteries.. done in Australia. It was super good! and ended far too soon. There is a new Phryne Fisher set in modern times featuring a younger actress, of which I think there are far too many, and I have not seen that yet, but will miss the flavor of the 1920's set in Melbourne, Australia. As they said back in those days, It was the bee's names, the cat's pajamas!



2. The first week of October is also National Chili Week. Do you plan on celebrating with a bowl of red? Have a top secret recipe to share?
I do like chili and I prepare it a lot.   Here's how I make it in simple, unstructured terms...the slap-dash toss and throw  method of cooking:

I saute some very lean ground beef, add chopped onion, a bit of chopped celery, chopped
red, green and yellow peppers, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, turmeric, garlic powder, paprika, oregano and  red and Roman beans.  It gets simmered until thick.. but I do add some Masa Harina to help it thicken up nicely. Masa harina gives better flavor than anything else.

3. October 2nd is National Name Your Car Day. Does your car or did a family car have a name?
No.   Umm, just no.   Boats, yes, cars no.

4. Today is also National Walk To School Day. Did you walk to school with your friends? Take a school bus? Ever have someone carry your books home from school?
My hometown is tiny and one mile square. Everyone walked and still walks to school. We had no buses. Thee is one high school, one junior high or middle school and 3 elementary schools in the neighborhoods.  Crossing guards were at all streets to help kids.
Yes I had boyfriends who would help carry books sometimes, but not always. They had their own load to carry!

5. And it is National Pumpkin Seed Day. Do you like pumpkin seeds? Do you carve the pumpkin and roast the seeds? Do you buy packaged, prepared pumpkin seeds? Or more of a pumpkin spice person?
I like pumpkin spice, especially in hot coffee. I like adding nutmeg and cinnamon to coffee as well.
I am not really into pumpkin seeds.
My mother always made pumpkin pie with fresh pumpkin she cooked, not canned .
I like seeds just not pumpkin seeds all that much.


6. Please tell us something interesting about your week.

The week has just begun and been pretty quiet so far and that can be an excellent thing in itself!
I've watched a few interesting documentaries but that's about as exciting as things have been.
 

   Now a little Haiku:

in the neighborhood
"None is traveling 
 Here along this way but I, 
This Autumn evening..." 
—Matsuo Basho (1644-1694)

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad I found Wed. Medley on your site this morning. I had really missed it so much!!Your posts brought so much to my mind that I had forgotten, I love Jesse Stone, and
    Miss Fischer's Murder Mysteries were a great surprise for me.. At first I didnt think Id like it, but oh, my, yes, actually the time frame made the series, She was a regular Betty Boop!!! Loved her... and so stylish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our week has been pretty quiet too and I rather like it that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding me of the Jesse Stone series; I had forgotten that we enjoyed watching them so much and were disappointed when there were no more. You asked about Downton Abby. I do recommend seeing it. My husband had not watched many of the episodes but had no trouble following the story line and really enjoyed it as well. You leave feeling good and wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your chili recipe sounds very good now that the temperature has dropped. I've never heard of Masa harina, however, so when I leave it's off to google I go.

    Love that the barn has gone Halloween in your header. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little hometown sounds wonderful...where everyone can walk to school! That would be delightful! I had to ride a bus, and we lived three miles from school, but out a long clay road at the time. However, before they would take us home, we had to endure the long trip to take kids home who lived way farther out than we did. We were the first on and the last ones off...which made for a very long uncomfortable trip. I was glad when a neighbor lady who taught school offered to take us and bring us... I am not much of a pumpkin seed fan either. I guess it is time to start thinking about pumpkin pies and stuff, however...I'm a little slow getting started as it is still so hot here and I've been a little under the weather. Enjoyed your post. It helps inspire me to get going...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.