Thursday, December 26, 2019

Winter Treats


Butterballs or Russian Tea Cakes
December is just about over and winter is truly here.

I got to thinking about foods that are associated with winter and holidays.
Two favorites came to mind: Russian Tea Cakes or Butter Balls, and Potato Latkes.
  They are part of winter holiday memories for me.
My mother baked cookies and a neighbor fried the latkes (potato pancakes). Then they were passed out around he neighborhood. Well, what was left after we kids got hold of them.
We would gobble up the cookies at my house then
we would head next door to the neighbors house where she was frying latkes.  We
d go in the kitchen door and stand by the stove and  shove  them into our mouths as fast as they came off the frying pan.
Everyone ate them with sour cream and applesauce except me. Always the rebel I want ketchup!
We stuffed them into our mouths as fast as each batch hit the plate!
I don't think she ever got enough done for her family!

These cookies are also called Wedding cookies which shows how many ways people use them. Some call them Mexican Wedding cookies, Russian Wedding cookies, butter balls.. there are a dozen names for them but, whatever you call them they are good.


Here is my mother's recipe for this cookie she made each year.




(Use walnuts or pecans for the nuts) This post is really a re-write of a post from a few years ago.
See you tomorrow for Friday Photos and Skywatch Friday.




5 comments:

  1. Love those cookies, whatever you call them...they are definitely good! I was thinking about making some...and now that I see the recipe, I just might. Not today, however. I am tired and we have too many sweets in the house already. But still...they do sound good...maybe tomorrow...Hope you have had a wonderful holiday with your family. We have more to come on Saturday, so I am resting in between. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe looks yummy. I like my lattes with applesauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother also gave me her recipe for these cookies. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these cookies, I've never known them as butter balls though, we call them Wedding Cookies. I'm saving your recipe, thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annie, I am finally ready to blog again. I just did a post at my Blogger site since it is much easier to use than my website. I hope to add some pages to Blogger and eventually give up my website. Thanks for sharing your memories. I have never made those cookies but I would like to try them and I do know them as Mexican Wedding cookies though I have only seen them a few times. I hope to see snow this season. Our local mountains have been hit hard with snow and it has been cold for us. Yesterday's high was 48 and that is low for So. California! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.