Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Pondering with Tuesday 4

Grand solar minimum! It's here and in full earnest. During a grand solar we have increased earthquakes and  much increased volcano activity. (Krakatoa just exploded  again throwing ash up 50,000 feet into the atmosphere on April 10 )
A Grand Solar Minimum was also the cause of the 1800 and Froze to Death back in 1816, famously called  the year without a summer. More people migrated west during that time than ever before as crops failed and cattle froze to death.
 So,  here we are into May and my heat is still on and nights are very cold.
Krakatoa
As we enter hurricane season, let's hope it does not make things much, much worse.
A Grand Solar Minimum can cause a mini ice age and last for 50 years. Welcome to the new age my friends.
Here is a definition:  " A periodic solar event called a "grand minimum" could overtake the sun perhaps as soon as 2020 and lasting through 2070, resulting in diminished magnetism, infrequent sunspot production and less ultraviolet (UV) radiation reaching Earth — all bringing a cooler period to the planet that may span 50 years."

Questions to Think About

Welcome to Tuesday 4 in honor and memory of our dear friend Toni Taddeo.


1. What kind of setting do you like in a book as in nation, country, city, beach, resort, village and
why? If there is no preference, how about a type of character?
I find myself interested in old British settings like those found  Agatha Christie novels.   The time period is usually the 1920's, a fascinating era of tremendous change where things hovered between the Edwardian and the Jazz Era.

I also like the Boston, Massachusetts setting of Robert Parker's Spenser novels . The descriptions of the area, the people, the food is wonderful.
Jesse Stone
There isn't a lot as the writing is spare and to the point, but, what is there is lovely.
I confess to  having  a love affair with Massachusetts so the series of Spenser and Jesse Stone, appeal to me quite a bit.
Of course I very much like the writing of Robert Parker.    I am not fond of books with endless description. I prefer the crime noir that speeds along to a conclusion.
The Jesse Stone series is also played out against a beach community in Massachusetts. Jesse is the very conflicted sheriff of Paradise, Massachusetts. Much like me, he lives by the coast.
The recent Jesse Stone  made for TV movies starring Tom Selleck was beautifully filmed in Nova Scotia, which has similar coast lines to the northern east coast of the states.

2. Can you tell us about a favorite character in a book you've enjoyed or a program you watch?
I like the character of Miss Marple in the Agatha Christie mystery series.  Jane Marple is an elderly
Miss Marple
lady in her 60s or 70s who knits and gardens and sticks her nose into the affairs of others. She loves a bit of good gossip and has learned, in her little village of Saint Mary Mead, an awful lot about human nature.  As her friend once said, "Isn't she marvelous?"  Indeed she is as she cuts to the core of things and finds the solution every time.  Her mild manner and unlikely looks disguise her razor sharp wit and ability.


3. Why are you interested in the TV programs or movies you watchor books you read ? That is, what attracts you to them.
Right now, I am attracted to Legacies because the Famous Anonymous and the Little are and I love watching TV with them and talking about the programs and the characters. I love hearing their opinions and views and letting them hear my thoughts as well.
I like mysteries and whodunits and programs that build on a premise and string you along until the final episode of the season.  We sit there and talk for hours about the characters, their problems, their strengths, weaknesses and whodunit!  Nothing could be better than TV with your kids my friends.
We began watching programs with  Lost, Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, Riverdale, Tagged etc.
It is important to share and watch television and movies with young people.

4.   Do you get upset if the routine of your day is upset or can you go with the flow?
I can't afford to. My days are always up in the air one way or another and I need to be able to switch gears quickly.
I go with the flow having learned  that it is the better way to live your life.

Please friends, as Toni asked, and I now see what she meant.. Do NOT answer the questions on my blog or someone elses' blog . Answer them on your own blog and join in.  The key here is giving you something to blog about and questions to help you along. Toni deleted comments that answered the questions on her own blog.

9 comments:

  1. Good questions today.
    I enjoyed your answers for Tuesday4Meme.
    Have a good Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were we in one of those grand solar minimums back in the 70's? I can remember a science teacher saying we were moving into a small ice age. Winters were definitely more severe then...in this area, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Liam would have a grand time talking about science (it's way above my head, grin). Have you seen the show Expedition Unknown? Great show, Liam and I watch it together. It's about great mysteries of the world; history and science working together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it depends on where you live, for me, I would love to see cooler temps all year. Oh, that sounds so refreshing. Hurricane season is almost here, I hate it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post...and I won't comment about what I like or what I do in response to the questions. But I like your answers. I may need to check out that series with Tom Selleck. I've never seen it. Have a wonderful day. I hope the weather gets into some kind of normal pattern soon. We need rain...even though I don't want hurricanes...we definitely need a lot of rain to refill our pond!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go with the flow is a good saying. Life happens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for always giving us something to ponder !
    So very glad you share what you've learned over the course of your life...new ways to look at things...refreshing !
    Wishing you good health and daily joy , my friend

    ReplyDelete
  8. This week was an enjoyment! Thank you Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading your answers. Definitely way different than mine!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.