Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Literary Pearls, Emily Davis



That evening, as dusk was falling, Dolly Clare took her accustomed walk at the edge of Hundred Acre Field, behind her home.
All her little duties were done, and she felt free to enjoy the evening air before settling by the fireside.

She reached the oak tree, and stood very still, watching three fine pheasants searching for acorns at
the foot of the gnarled old trunk.

Above her the rooks were flying homeward. The great field before her, gleaming with gold when last
she walked there with Emily, was now freshly ploughed, the furrows dark and glistening. Within a few days the seed would be planted and she would watch, alone now, the first tender blades appear, then the ripening crop and, finally, its harvesting.

The comforting cycle of the seasons continued unchanged—the sowing, the growing and the reaping.

Dolly Claire turned, and made her way homeward with a grateful heart. Life went on, and was still sweet.”

―    Miss Read, Emily Davis 
Photo: my own back garden.
Annie

3 comments:

  1. Lovely...I have not read that book. I must check that out. And I LOVE your back yard. Looks cool and refreshing! We need more of that "cool and refreshing" these days. Thank you for this lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah , the power of words well placed !
    Thank you for these pearls...a lovely way to start the day !
    Your yard is serene and calming...a blessing .
    Wishing you good health , safety and joy , my friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a serene and beautiful yard! I would be out there every day sitting with my coffee! Several people I know mentioned Miss Read books, I am going to check my library. I think they will be perfects reads, calming in these crazy times!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.