Monday, July 20, 2020

Musical Interlude

Music


Tuesday 4 is hosted  in memory of Toni Taddeo who started it a few years ago and I hope you will join in with us each week. It is a great way to visit new bloggers, make friends and discover new and interesting things about your friends.

The topic for this week's Tuesday 4 meme is Music..


1. Do you play a musical instrument? 
  I play piano and a little Irish flute.
I own a baby grand and a tiny Irish flute that I bought in Lake Placid, New York. 
When I was a teen I could play guitar but have no played in years.

2. Have you taken music lessons? What kind. If not, is there one you might enjoy learning. It is never too late to start.
I have taken violin, flute and singing lessons.  My town's schools began teaching music with flutes in the 4th grade until 6th after which you could choose another instrument to learn. Music classes continued through high school. 
Everyone in our school system could read music.
My grandmother was a piano and pipe organ teacher. I learned by watching her. She played for many churches and organizations and was in great demand. Both my parents also played piano,and my father could play Barrel House or Honky Tonk style.

3. Is there music in your home as background to your day's activities or do you have music playing in your car, etc.? If so, what kind of music do you enjoy hearing?
Sometimes yes. I do not like music in a car though.
Music in the house will be smooth jazz , easy listening from the past or  classical when I do play it.

4.  Do you have a favorite composer or genre of music that you like most? Maybe you like several. Please share with us your thoughts?
I like so many composers it would take pages to list them all.
For American composers though I like Leroy Anderson (you are familiar with his song Sleigh Ride) and all of his wonderful music.
I am also a great fan of Russian composers like Shostakovitch, Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky and others.
Here is the Grand Russian Easter Overturee by Nikolai Rimdky Korsakov.. a grand piece with a truly  majestic  and triumphant ending.



Here is Leroy Anderson playing a song I've always loved. since I was a very tiny girl.

8 comments:

  1. I have never hear of an Irish flute, so I had to look it up... My hubs wants to try his hand at a violin, he keeps looking at them, maybe one day there will be one added into his mix of guitars. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your answers today.
    Have a good Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers, Ann. Hope you have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the musical interlude ! It was beautiful and my cat's reaction to the second piece was so cute ! There is always something of value and beauty offered here - thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Russian composers, too! I hadn't heard this one in quite a while! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the music you shared! I always enjoy trying to "see" the story classical music is telling. Loved your answers! Have a nice Tuesday!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been blessed with a lot of music in your life. Enjoyed reading your answers, hope your having a great day.!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to be able to play those instruments. I'm a fan of smooth jazz too!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.