Monday, August 24, 2020

A Tuesday 4...

Soda Pop!

Welcome to Tuesday 4 which was started by our friend Toni Taddeo and kept up in memory of her.
 Different sections of the USA have different words and customs they use. Let's talk about
them.
  
1. In New Jersey you put your groceries in a paper bag or plastic bag.  In Athens, Ohio where I went to university, you put them in a paper sack.
Is it bag , sack or something else where you live?
Here in New Jersey it is a paper bag or a plastic bag.

2. NJ says  Stockings.Athens,  Ohio used to call them "hose" and in Britain they are tights. What about where you live?
Well the answer, of course, is in the question. I am in New Jersey so it is stockings and also pantyhose.

3.Soda, Pop, Coke? 
  Here in NJ we call carbonated drinks soda.

4. Shopping cart or trolley or? What do you call it?
We call it a shopping cart.

This one was a bit odd for me since I wrote the questions based on my own state and that made my answers pretty uninteresting I think.
When I lived in Utah, everyone called all carbonated drinks "coke" and when I was living in Ohio, a soda meant an ice cream soda. They called carbonated drinks "pop".
People congregate with their own for the most part and so we get those regional differences not just in the USA but in other nations as well.
 You may have noticed that in Britain they will wish you a Happy Christmas while here in the US it's Merry Christmas. This is because America was established during the Shakespearean era when words like Merry and  platter were common.   Britain moved on with it's English but we did to a much lesser extent. So, we use the word merry and we still use the word platter for a serving dish while in England the word has fallen mostly into disuse.  Interesting no?

Can you believe that August, which began only yesterday of course, is almost gone? It is nearly September. Time to break out my autumn header paintings.
I can't wait for Halloween , Thanksgiving and I am praying for very chilly autumn weather with lots of color in the leaves.  What about you?
To me, autumn/fall is the loveliest,most colorful season along with the Chanukah/Christmas season with its candles and lights that are so warm, merry (there's that word again) and inviting!
Sigh...Google insists that it is Hanukah.. but no. It begins with a chet, a hard gutteral  clearing the back of the throat  sound and the H is deceptive. It is CHanukah the ch sound being like the Scottish loch.  Trust me Google I read Hebrew and you don't!  Spell check is a pain at times.


10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed my visit here tonight Annie. I agree with oh the way you say Chanukah. We had a guest come to a Women's Christmas Tea and she also talked about Chanukah. Are you Jewish? You should have been a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post...I am glad you added your personal thoughts about differences in what we say and how we say things. It's not just Google that seems to insist on "Hanukah"...we rarely every see it spelled "Chanukah" anywhere, so I guess they just Americanized it for us, which is sad. We need to challenge ourselves to learn the correct way of saying things. And I agree with Susan's comment above..."You should have been a teacher!" But I say you ARE a teacher. You have taught us many interesting things here, and I thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed this post and the extra information you passed on. Very interesting and now I can say I learned something new today. And that makes me happy. Have great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed reading everyone's answers. I am looking forward to fall and then winter, grin. Have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annie: I enjoyed your answers today.
    Have a good Tuesday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to fall, too, Annie and agree that it's the most beautiful season of all. Interesting bit about "happy" vs. "merry." I love learning stuff like that. Thanks for today's questions. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your questions and reading your answers. I can't believe August is almost over. I really don't know how the future holidays are going to be celebrated. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I truly LOVE dialect. I always think it is so interesting to see what other parts of the country call items. My Grandma called earrings...ear bobs. I try to say that every now and then because I have literally never heard anyone else call earrings ear bobs. I think it is an old word, but it makes me think of her, so I say it. I am not ready for it to die yet. Loved your answers! Have a great week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Summer Girl (me !) was less than amused when the sassafras trees insisted on besting the maples with autumn blazes of crimson and orange...in LATE JULY !!! The summer is the only time I am warm and this year's "warmth" drove me inside to A/C...hardly seems fair...sigh .
    Ear Bobs is a very old term...thank you for breathing life into it again , Lori !
    To one and all , have a wonderful day...stay safe and healthy

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.