Friday, September 18, 2020

Sat 9 Frankie & Johnny


Saturday 9: Frankie and Johnny (1966)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) When this record was initially released in 1966, it never cracked the Top 20. Critics were harsh, saying that Elvis had not kept up the times. How about you? Do you consider yourself up-to-date on today's music?
Somewhat. I listen to what the kids are listening to as well as other things.

2) The song is about a woman named Frankie and Johnny, the man who does her wrong. Who is the most recent person to do you wrong? (It doesn't have to be in romance; it could be the person who cut in front of you in line at the supermarket.)

Governor Phil Murphy who destroying NJ one egotistic executive order at a time.

3) Elvis sings that Johnny cheated with "a chick named Nellie Bly." The real Nellie was an estimable woman, a pioneering 19th century journalist. Can you think of another song that mentions a real person?
 Donna by Richie Valens
4) This song was recorded for a movie by the same name. Elvis played a riverboat gambler. When did you last play a game of chance?
A horse race but it was a long while ago.
5) Actor Harry Morgan had a supporting role in the movie. He's remembered as Officer Gannon on Dragnet and Col. Potter on M*A*S*H. Gannon was a good cop but could be particular about his food and surroundings. As a career soldier, Potter didn't mind roughing it every now and again. Which character are you more like: fussy Gannon or outdoorsy Potter?
Outdoorsy Potter
6) Elvis' leading lady was Donna Douglas. She filmed her part during her summer hiatus from TV's The Beverly Hillbillies. Have you ever had a summer job?
Yes, I was a librarian/typist for a chemical company one summer.
7) Though not remembered as an actor, Elvis was a bona fide movie star. In 1966, he was listed (with Paul Newman, Sean Connery, John Wayne and Richard Burton) as one of the world's biggest box office draws. Who starred in the last movie you watched?
Cher in Moonstruck which I re-watched.
8) In 1966, Lauren Bacall appeared on the cover of Time with the headline: "The Pleasures and Perils of Middle Age." She was 41 years old and starring in a hit Broadway play. In the article, she explained that in middle age, she had come to understand that "character and a sense of humor are the two things that will carry you through." Tell us about something you understand better or appreciate more today than you did when you were young.

How bad the world can really be.
9) Random question: Have you checked out Bud and Mimi's cool new meme, Monday Madness?
Yes. I will try to play next week.

7 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhh what a pretty header, Annie...sorry---you know me, always get sidetracked by pretty things, smiles. ANYWAYS---enjoyed your answers, I just couldn't think of any --so I didn't put it up on my blog, smiles. Have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we've learned how bad the world can be, but I like to think we've also learned how to deal with that better. I like the fall look of your blog! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, the races! When I lived in Kansas City I got into dog races some. That was when I was in my 20's...long time ago. I forgot about that. They banned it here. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Moonstruck" is a movie I watch now and again. I love it.
    #8 The world has always been a tough place to be. That's why we escape through Art and Music. Somehow, those two things make it all bearable. I'm nearly 80 and it's never been this bad, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen Moonstruck. I will have to make a point of watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning !
    So nice to start my day here !
    Beautiful header...interesting questions and answers .
    Nippy temperatures here...turned on the heat !
    Have a splendid day !

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.