Monday, December 21, 2020

A Merry Little Christmas... Tuesday 4

Hi Friends ! It is time for Tuesday 4 and here is  my contribution.

Christmas is fast approaching for millions of people. It is especially big in Russia, Europe and both North and South America. It is probably the biggest holiday in the world.

1. Do you have a favorite Christmas carol and if so is there a particular version you especially like?

Yes I do like Silver Bells. It is a pretty song and I like the Bing Crosby version.When I was very little my hometown had silver bells hung above the center of the main street. Each cluster of bells was surrounded by a bed of pine boughs and red bows. It was so beautiful and as a little tiny girl I was amazed by them. This song was playing from the local variety store.  It was a lovely winter day and I was very happy as I walked along.  It made quite an impression on me and the song makes me happy to this day. Isn't it interesting how music becomes associated with memories and feelings?   When I was around 8 my sister drove me into New York City (She was old enough to be my mother) to see the stores and there were Silver Bells in the city all along the street.  Macy's had them inside hanging from the ceiling. Macy's takes up one entire square city block in Manhattan. It just reinforced my enjoyment of that song.

2.Do you have a special dinner for the holidays? What foods are included?

A lovely goose  or Cornish hens would be nice with wild rice and  sautéed vegetables.  A chocolate jelly roll filled with whipped cream and made to look like a log (Bûche de Noël) for dessert!

3.Holiday movies ... which do you like to watch?

Well Christmas or not my favorite story is A Christmas Carol. It is a story that addresses much of the evil in the world.So, always that.  The Shop Around the Corner with Jimmy Stewart is also a nice story as well as Meet Me in  St. Louis with Judy Garland.. Another would be The Bishop's Wife with Loretta Young,David Niven, Cary Grant and the wonderful Gladys Cooper!. Loretta was the great granddaughter of Brigham Young.

4. What traditions do you continue to keep year after year for the holidays? Being with family on holidays is to me the most important tradition and must never be stopped for any reason. 

for those who asked my egg roll recipe is in the post below.

I wish you and yours a very joyous and happy holiday season. 



11 comments:

  1. What a special memory to have with your sister. We drove by Macy's when I was there in 2008 while on our Manhattan tour. I love your header! I have never seen The Shop Around the Corner. I will have to look into it. I did get to see The Sound of Music last night and though it is not Christmas, it is special for me. Interesting fact about Loretta Young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your memories linked to the Silver Bells are wonderful. Music can be the trigger for so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are too many Christmas carols and Christmas movies I like
    to mention on my post.
    I enjoyed your questions and your post today.
    Have a great Tuesday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, make the Cornish Game Hens and I'll be right over! My husband fixes those in such a way that they are absolutely scrumptious. He's the cook, thank heavens. I can open a can. *lol*
    My favorite Christmas hymn is "O Holy Night". It's a rousing piece sung with a lot of emotion. Gives me chills what Christ has done, and is doing, for us. Amen!
    Merry CHRISTmas Annie! Keep looking up. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been enjoying some wonderful Christmas movies this week. Have a very Merry Christmas!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What special memories to cherish! I listen to a local classical music station and they always start playing the classics during the holidays. I have also been watching some really cute Christmas movies on Netflix. Hope you have a Merry Christmas! 🎄

    https://jenschaoticmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christmas songs are always better when Bing sings them! I don't consider it to really be Christmas until I hear Bing sing "White Christmas."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love your story and memories about "Silver Bells". That really makes it more real to me hearing you tell about that. I can just envision it in my mind's eye. I'm glad you like "The Bishop's Wife" too. That is my favorite of all time. There's just something very special about that movie that really touched my heart. I hope you have a blessed and beautiful Christmas with your family! Thank you for doing this again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite movies are those shared with friends and family , especially the old , black and white films !
    Thank you for another interesting post !
    May this Christmas bring healing and peace to all...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You named some of my favorite vintage films. I love Meet Me in St. Louis. You answer to # 1 was so. Wonderful. What an amazing memory!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.