Monday, December 21, 2020

Homemade Egg Rolls

Homemade Egg Rolls:


 Ingredients:

1 lb ground chicken  (turkey if you like)
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp minced garlic
2 1/2 cups of shredded cabbage and carrot (you can use coleslaw mix in a bag)
3 scallions sliced up small
2 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
1 large beaten egg
1 T sesame oil  (but you really don't need it if you don't have it)
quart of oil for frying
Egg roll wrappers. Sauces for dipping... any you like.


Instructions:
Cook the chicken & drain all fat off, mix with all other ingredients including the sesame oil (except the egg which is used to seal the egg rolls and not added in)      Get veggies softened a bit.
Wrap in egg roll from corner to corner turning in the sides  and use beaten egg to seal the edges closed.
Fry in oil 375F or in a heavy bottom pot with 2 inches of oil until golden and crispy looking.  Drain well on paper towels and serve with your favorite sauces or mustards.

Folks if you only have cabbage and carrot and a bit of onion and some soy sauce, they will work out fine. Just fill in the egg rolls and fry. The sauce gives a bit more flavor but they are delicious no matter what.


 Italian Egg Rolls.. brown ground beef with celery and onion, add some spaghetti sauce (not too runny) and mozzarella and fill the egg rolls.. Deep fry.. Eat!

German Egg  Rolls: ground up pastrami mixed with sauerkraut and Swiss cheese... wrap up and fry. Serve with mustard or Russian dressing.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my! This is something I've never tried to make and I know I would love them! Thanks for the recipe! holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love egg rolls! I will definitely be trying this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing! Merry Christmas!💖

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never even thought of making egg rolls but this looks pretty easy! And yummy! I hope your Christmas is extra blessed, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing. Our friend makes a mean egg roll, but won't share the recipe for his filling. He will give me a container of it to make my own rolls, but that's not going to work forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh , sounds so very yummy !!!
    It's dangerous for me to think of food at this hour , but look out tomorrow !!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.