Thursday, January 21, 2021

Another Great Day!

Well this certainly has been an exciting week! 

First we had national popcorn day on the 19th, then national coffee break day yesterday and now today the piece de resistance, national New England Clam Chowder Day!

I don't know how to contain my excitement for this wonderful week. Can you?

Any thoughts on New England Clam Chowder vs Manhattan maybe? I mean the questions are endless and the choice is very hard.

 I hope you enjoy a bowl of this soup soon. I won't be as I don't eat clams but, you can taste it for me!!  Hoorah!

What a great week it's been so far.  I am sure Friday will also be as exciting.

Here is a recipe that I can't eat but maybe you will find it useful. I forget where it came from.

4 center-cut bacon strips
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup water
1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
3 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups fat-free half-and-half, divided
2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, un-drained

 Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. Saute celery and onion in the drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, water, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup half-and-half until smooth. Stir in gradually to soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
Stir in clams and remaining half-and-half; heat through (don't boil). Crumble the cooked bacon; sprinkle over each serving.

6 comments:

  1. Oh , yum ! FOOD !!!
    I don't eat shellfish either , but had a MOST memorable soup "cousin" years ago in Maine...Haddock Chowder .
    It is also a thick , creamy soup with potatoes and onions...also thickened with flour .
    It is so very good and seems to warm you to your very bones !!!
    Thank you for all you do and the sparking of good memories !

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO...ooo... forgot to tell you to float a pat of butter on top of your chowder and serve it with homemade cheddar cheese drop biscuits - split and spread with...of course !...more butter !
    Oh , the joy !
    Time for a mad dash to the grocery store and a lovely lunch...
    Bye !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had Manhattan style. But I love New England Clam Chowder. Did not know it had it's own day. But I did have Progresso brand Clam Chowder for lunch yesterday. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love clam chowder! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe, I will copy and paste to my recipe folder. Yum Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to eat clam chowder when we go to a place that has it. I have tried Manhattan style and it was okay, but nothing like New England! I had a cup of it in Boston back in 2008 when I was on my cruise. Then the best crab cakes while at Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.