Saturday, January 30, 2021

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

 
Saturday 9: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy (1973)



Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

1) Bette Midler sings that the bugle boy wakes up Company B every morning by playing reveille. What awakened you this morning (phone, alarm clock, sunrise, etc.)? Or did you wake up on your own?
Most often I wake on my own but I do have an alarm clock.

2) This single was produced by Bette's arranger/piano player, who went on to have a successful singing career of his own. Do you have a favorite Barry Manilow song?
Weekend in New England is nice.

3) Bette was named after Bette Davis. Her sisters, Susan and Judy, were named for Susan Hayward and Judy Garland. So now we know who Mother Midler's favorite actresses were. Who are yours?
I do like Bette Davis, Eleanor Bron.

4) Bette has been married since 1984 to artist Martin von Haselberg. She was 39 years old, already a star, and had never married before. Yet within six weeks of meeting him, she was so sure Martin was "the one" that they tied the knot. Have you found that love takes time, or, like Bette, have you fallen in love quickly?
It happens quickly I think.

5) When their daughter Sophie was growing up, it was Martin who taught her to cook. What was the last thing you prepared in your kitchen? Did you use the microwave, stovetop, convection oven, blender, coffee maker ...?
 Chicken Francaise. Used stove top, coffee maker, etc.
6) Bette says that listening and compromise have been the key to their happy marriage but adds, "Compromise is hardest of all." On what have you compromised recently? Too much to mention.

7) Bette and Martin have a farmhouse in upstate New York. She enjoys feeding the chickens (whom she has jokingly named The Kardashians) and puttering in her garden. Do you have a green thumb? I think so, yes.

8) In 1973, the year this song was popular, actor Neil Patrick-Harris was born. He's best known as Barney on How I Met Your Mother, which ran from 2005-2014. Were you a fan?  Not really.

9) Random question -- How often do you put crackers in your soup: Always, often, seldom or never? Not anymore at all.

Mikael Gorbachov said that John F Kennedy was way ahead of his time and that this probably got him killed.  Smart man.

10 comments:

  1. I think Bette Midler is a great entertainer, I lost interest in her because of her politics. Bette Davis was a great actress, I think I've seen all her movies. I didn't think she was as pretty as the industry made her out to be, just my opinion. Hope you have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning !
    It is a treat to begin my day here !
    You have many talents and kindly share them...broadening our horizons and delighting our senses with wonderful art and photos , stimulating information and yummy recipes...many thanks , my friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the smiles, Ann. I hope you have a beautiful day. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weekend in New England is probably one of Barry's better songs, but I had a friend back in the day that played it over and over and over. She kind of killed it for me. Hope you have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often wonder how different our country would be if the Kennedy's would have lived. It is so sad. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re alarms: I always wake up about 5 minutes before my alarm goes off. But if I don't set it, I can sleep right past "time to get up" and ruin the whole rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Annie:
    I do NOT have a green thumb, sometimes I wish I did.
    I enjoyed your answers today.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed Bette Midler's music but not her politics. I no longer need an alarm clock. Our body clocks work pretty well, and they let me sleep in when I need to. Your quote about JFK is probably very true. Sad, but true. My green thumb is numb. LOL. Actually my sister got the green thumb in our family. Mine is just sort of brown. LOL. Have a blessed and wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Bette Midler.In Portugal she became famous after "The Rose". I was a child but I remember.
    Coisas de Feltro

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.