z Cottage by the Sea : Why Did I Choose You?

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Why Did I Choose You?

Saturday 9 friends....
  Why Did I Choose You? (1965)




Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Barbra Streisand reassures her lover that, if she had it all to do again, she would still choose him. Tell us about a decision you've made that you never, ever regretted.... children


2) The music was composed by Michael Leonard, who studied classical music at Julliard and the Handel Conservatory of Music in Munich. Do you often listen to classical music?  
Yes  a few times during the month..

3) The lyrics were written by Herbert Martin. He taught music in the NYC public school system and during the summer worked in summer stock. That's how he met and began collaborating with Michael Leonard. Tell us how you met someone important in your life.   I don't remember how it happened actually.
 
4) Ms. Streisand was a very good student, graduating fourth in her class at Erasmus Hall High School when she was only 16. One of Barbra's classmates was Neil Diamond. Do you have a favorite Neil Diamond song?     Coming to America



 

5) While she didn't go on to college, she continued her education by attending two different acting schools simultaneously. Did you enjoy being a student?    Yup. I liked learning and being in school. I especially enjoyed the walk home from school as the days grew darker. During the school day I loved the darker, rainy autumn days. I have one vision in my head of being in the class room on the 3rd floor watching the lights on the cars reflecting in the rain  and the highlights of the inside lights on the huge windows in the old building. 
 
6) Barbra and her first husband, Elliott Gould, shared a New York apartment over a 5th Avenue restaurant called Oscar's Salt of the Sea. Elliott originated the role of Trapper John in the movie M*A*S*H. On TV, the role of Trapper was played by Wayne Rogers. Can you think of another role that's been played by more than one actor?   Yes in most movies that were re-makes. There were 3 Charlie Chans over time.

7) Oscar's Salt of the Sea has ties to Sesame Street. Jim Henson loved their food and was amused by how inhospitable the owner, Oscar, could be. That's how Oscar the Grouch got his name. Which is your favorite Muppet?    Kermit and Elmo.

8) Back to Barbra ... She is a successful recording artist (nominated for 45 Grammy awards, winning 8) and an Oscar-winning actress, but she's suffered career disappointments, too. In 2010, she read the book Hidden Figures and tried to buy the rights so she could direct the film version. She lost out to fellow Brooklynite, director Theodore Melfi. In 2016, his movie of Hidden Figures was released. Did you see the movie or read the book?
  I saw the movie.

One thing about the movie was that in those days any woman, regardless of color would have had a very hard time continuing education in engineering etc. and certainly working in an all male environment was not pleasant for many women.

9) Random question: Your best friend takes up painting and proudly presents her first framed work to you. You think it's atrocious. Would you hang it in your home anyway?    Probably in a not too prominent place.
 

9 comments:

  1. Good Morning !
    I remember the first time I saw Barbara Streisand preform . It was on the Ed Sullivan show and
    she was terrific ! Many years later , there was a special program of her performing in Central Park...
    also terrific !
    It is lovely to start my day here ! Thank you !
    Wishing you and yours all good things...always

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a Streisand fan, so I skipped this and did your Tuesday Meme instead, grin. Wishing you a beautiful day, friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. BS has such a beautiful voice. I pray for her sometimes that she'll accept Jesus Christ as her personal Lord and Saviour. She sure would have a powerful testimony.
    I like Classical music the best but, here lately, have craved the silence of turning everything off. It makes it easier to focus on the Master's voice if He has something to show me in His word. Guess I really need that right now. I'm terrible about not paying attention when I should.
    Hope your day is blessed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea there were 3 Charlie Chan's. It's been years and years since I've watched any of the movies, though. Perhaps it's time for a revisit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Elmo too. He is so stinkin' cute. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suspect working in an all-male environment or mostly male environment continues to be unpleasant for many women.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Barbara's voice but haven't listened to her lately. I will have to look her up since all my CDs are at home in PA. Thanks for reminding me!💖

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Barbra Steisand's voice and music. I don't love her politics or other personal aspects, but I enjoyed her music and used to try to emulate her singing. Of course I failed, but I really thought I sounded that good in the shower. No one else did, however and often told me to pipe down. LOL. I do a pretty good rendition of "People, people who need people...are the luckiest people in the world..." LOL. Enjoyed your answers. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.