Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Memorials

Time once again for Tuesday 4 and I hope you will be joining in.

 Welcome to Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4.

We celebrated Memorial Day on Monday... let's talk about memorials and memories.

1. Do you find memories comforting or troubling?  They can be a bit of both depending on what the memory is.  Good memories are comforting and bad ones can be troubling.

2.  Have you set up a memorial for a loved one or friend?

Well, I guess this blog is a memorial for Toni. I have one on my other blog for my daughter.

3.  What songs bring back good memories for you?      Sleep Walk by Santo and Johnny is certainly one.  Songs my mother liked such as Petite Fleur.   Chanson D'amour... so darn many.


Then there is the song which inspired my daughter's name, Holly.

4.  Have you visited Civil War or Revolutionary War sites?  Yes. There are many Revolutionary sites in New Jersey and I have been to many of them including the site of an army hospital in my home town that was under a large oak tree, two churches were Washington was and battles were fought, a tavern many war heroes of those days stayed in, Washingtons winter headquarters, Valley Forge, Washington's crossing on the Delaware River, Independence Hall, Betsey Ross' house, the liberty bell.. Concord, Mass. Lexington, Fraunces Tavern in NYC where Washington said farewell to his troops... Springfield Church where they used hymn books to make wading for their muskets.. I have been to so many that are here in New Jersey, one of the original 13 colonies.

Valley Forge was the most moving of all.

For the Civil War I have been to Gettysburg which is a very moving experience.  I have also visited many Civil War sites in Virginia.


8 comments:

  1. Songs that bring back memories to me are any by Harry Belafonte. My mother loved his music! I've visited the Old North Church in Boston and briefly the Gettysburg battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right that this is a memorial for Toni. I think of her every time I fill one of these out. Thank-you for doing this. I should be able to participate more now that school is out for summer. Loved your answers! Have a nice week!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for the questions this week. I enjoyed reading your answers and I would love to visit some of those sites you mentioned. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning !
    Interesting to think about memorials...
    Sometimes , as you said , songs will bring memories of people and sometimes , actions or tasks bring them to mind . Every time I iron something , the entire sensory experience is comforting , with intense memories of my Nana , who taught me how to do it !
    Precious people...precious memories !
    Wishing you a splendid day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have certainly visited a lot of war battlefields, etc.! I didn't realize there were so many in NJ! But then again, I haven't done much traveling up that way. Would be interesting to do someday. I am not familiar with the songs you mentioned either. I will have to listen to those! I loved Andy Williams and his program on TV. Also Pat Boone. They were both clean cut and good entertainers. We don't get to see much of that anymore. I miss the old variety shows. Thank you for continuing this in memory of Toni. Yes, this is a living memorial for her. I know she would be pleased as punch!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This topic about memorials is so exciting. Love reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Annie! Lovely post, I need to get back into doing memes. Hope you are having a good day my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.