Saturday, June 4, 2022

Old Songs.. saturday 9

 

weather warm

 

I   think it is so nice to have some questions and answers for Bloggers.   It is such a nice way to learn about the thoughts, likes, dislikes of others who also Blog.  What do you think?

 This week's Saturday 9 is about the song Cinderella Rockefeller

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.




1) This record and video were inspired by popular tunes of the 1920s.    Looking over your lifetime, which decade produced more of your favorite songs?     

There are so many times that one is impossible to pick. My taste is very eclectic and ranges through a number of eras. 

 
2) "Cinderella Rockefella" topped the charts in England, yet barely broke into the Billboard Hot 100 here in the States. Still, the number was known to American audiences, performed as a duet on variety shows like The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour (Tommy and Kate Smith), This Is Tom Jones (Cher and Tom) and The Dean Martin Show (Nancy Ames and Dean). Do you remember watching musical-comedy programs? Did you have a favorite?
 I liked the Sonny and Cher Program.

3) It was written by Mason Williams, a prolific composer and comedy writer, as well as a talented guitarist. He is best known for "Classical Gas," his 1968 instrumental. Do you enjoy instrumentals? Or does a piece of music need lyrics to become one of your favorites?
Yes, I like instrumentals and no they do not need lyrics at all.
 
4) This week's featured artists, Esther & Abi Ofarim, were considered the Sonny & Cher of Europe. A married couple, they had hits in the 1960s in both the UK and Germany and were depicted in magazines as the perfect young husband and wife. Fans were disappointed when, in 1969, they quit performing together and divorced in 1970 after 12 years of marriage. Can you think of a couple you knew in real life whose split shocked you? Or can you usually see it coming?
I think you can see it coming when couples no longer work together and begin to find fault all the time or when they become enemies living in the same house.

5) Comparisons to Sonny & Cher are apt because, as with the Bonos, the wife's show business career fared better than the husband's, post-divorce. Esther's BBC specials were "appointment TV" in the UK during the 1970s. Today, with the advent of streaming and DVRs, viewers don't have to make sure they're in front of the screen when their favorite show airs. Tell us about the last show you watched. Was it live, streamed, on DVR or DVD/Blueray?
It was on YouTube.. an episode of  Midsomer Murders and a few episodes of The Lieutenant starring Gary  Lockwood  and both are available on YouTube.

6) She had a solo hit with Esther in Kinderland, a collection of children's songs. Can you recall the lyrics of a favorite song from childhood?  Where did you learn it (home, church, Scouts ...)?


 Git Along Home,  Cindy, Cindy is a cute favorite. Blue Tail Fly was another. I learned most of them in Girl Scouts, which was a big part of my life from early on until High School.  I learned London Bridge, Sarasponda, The Happy Wanderer and so many more.


7) Abi continued performing after the split, but more often worked behind the scenes as a record producer and music publisher. Would you say you have a good head for business?
Not that I know of as I've never run a business.  I don't feel any real ability in that area.

8) After they finished school, both Abi and Esther served in the Israeli Army, and Abi saw combat. Have you served in our military? Did you ever consider enlisting?
No. I never did. Yes I did consider it.

9) Random question: How many keys are on your key ring, and do you know what each one is for?
4 keys and yes I know what they are.
 


6 comments:

  1. #5 Midsomer Murders was the next to last show I watched, here in CT that show was followed by Death in Paradise. I prefer British murder mysteries over American murder mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning !!!
    I just went to youtube to hear "Classical Gas" . The clip I clicked on was from 1968 and featured Mason Williams seated in front of a backup orchestra . Upon further inspection , those is the orchestra were actually cardboard cutouts of Mason Williams , playing the various instruments , in the necessary multiples...hilarious back "story" to a terrific song !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always forget that you can watch so much on you tube. I need to check some of my favs to see if I can view them...like Leave it to beaver. I had to try to think about a key ring. I think I have one with the house key on it. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My taste in music is very eclectic also. I have one random key on my keychain that I am not quite sure about. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to join the eclectic fan club. I loved songs for the 50p's and 70p's as well. But anything more recent I have to ask, wha?????

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many saying they were in Girl Scouts and loved it. I never had the chance, but after going with my kids to try Girl and Boy Scouts...I can tell you I would have washed out. Going with them made me want to beat my head off a wall. Maybe it just changed that much from when we were kids?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.