Saturday, August 13, 2022

Hello honey, it's me!

Sunny and Cool

Happy Saturday friends on this bright and sunny and cool August day.  How are you doing?


I'm joining in for Saturday 9 brought to us each week by Sam Winters.
W.O.L.D. (1973)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune?     Hear it   Here

1) This song tells the story of a man who has made a career in radio.  How many professions have you worked in?
Several:  Medicine, computers, graphic art, retail.
 
2) He describes himself as "45 going on 15." This morning, do you feel older or younger than your years?
I always feel young.  I have never felt old.

3) He estimates that he's traveled thousands of miles, from town to city, as disc jockey at various stations. Have you ever relocated for a job?
No, nor would I do so.  I believe families must stay together come hell or high water.

4) This song is written as though he's reached out to an ex. Is there someone from your past who is on your mind this morning?
No. No one from the past is on my mind this morning and I try not to have people from the past on my mind at all. Not always possible but I do not like being dragged down with memories.

5) Tell us about a radio personality you grew up listening to.
Cousin Bruce Morrow on   77 WABC in New York City  for decades.  No one like him then or now. Not a single disc jockey ever came close.  I remember hearing Wolfman Jack for the first time and thinking, close but no cigar buddy.
There were others who I admired too. As a very small child I used to hear  Make Believe Ballroom with William B. Williams. My parents listened to that station which   was WNEW in NY. William B Williams was there for 40 years!  
Harry Harrison was the "morning mayor of NY" on WABC. He taught me to call an umbrella a bumpershoot.   In 2019 Harry was inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame.  What a wonderful man he was.  He passed on at 89 in 2020.
When I moved back to New Jersey from Utah, I heard Cousin Brucie on the radio one night and I thought.. "wow, I am home"

6) This week's featured artist, Harry Chapin, was an Oscar nominee. Before he became a musician, he wrote and directed a documentary about boxing called Legendary Champions. When you sit down to watch a movie, would you prefer action, comedy, drama, fantasy, horror, mystery, romance, thriller or documentary?
It depends on my mood at the time and it will vary from time to time too.  Over all I suppose I like documentaries and action best.
 
7) Today Harry Chapin is fondly remembered for his philanthropy. He filled his calendar with benefit concerts that supported local food banks all around the country. How would you like to be remembered?
I would like to be recalled as a good person who loved people.

8) In 1973, when this song was popular, one of the top-selling toys was a Curious George book packaged with a plush Curious George. Can you recall a favorite book from your childhood?
 Not really, no.  
9) Random question: Here's $100. What will you spend it on?
Groceries, thank you.  I need to stock up really. I am always running on empty.



5 comments:

  1. #3 "I believe families must stay together come hell or high water." You are right, once my brother graduated from college each of his four kids were born in a different state and now his kids are scattered all over the east coast. I maybe only see them at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    #5 I remember them, Cousin Bruce and Wolfman Jack they had syndicated shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really enjoyed my visit.. I was wondering if Id see Wolfman pop up in an answer. Groceries is a great answer.. Wish Id thought of it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Groceries is a good answer! That would only buy a few things...so sad.
    I hear Wolfman Jack for the first time when I was really young. He freaked me out a little. I think I would have loved him if I would have been a little older. I think I only heard him the one time. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that families should stay together. I just realize I mis read that last question. I should go fix it. I am sure you will be remembered as a good person!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.