Sunday, August 14, 2022



Y
esterday was cool and brilliantly sunny. Last night was down to 54°F which, after temperatures in the high 90s-100 
was a big drop and  very welcome indeed.   Outside the night was a bit chilly.   I suppose people on the beach and boardwalks were sporting their hoodies with their shorts.    As teens we would wear our sweatshirts to warm ourselves but, we still had our short shorts on and bare feet.  Hardy people were we!   A slice of pizza or a sausage sandwich and a tub of fresh French fries was enough to warm us up I guess.  Lets seem to take more of a beating weather wise anyway, don't they?  Anyway, it was a totally proper Indian summer day.


Tomorrow I will be posting Tuesday 4 (link in sidebar) and on this blog I'll once again continue my haiku series with photographs.    I hope you will come visit.

I am doing Bev Sykes' Sunday Stealing  today.  It is always fun to do. Without further ado...

 Stolen from  Big Magic  


1. What’s the best beach or lake day you can remember?   
There are just too many to count!  I grew up by water and  every day by the beach is a great day with marvelous things to remember.

2. Describe your ideal picnic lunch.
The ideal picnic lunch will have to contain a ton of potato salad, hot dogs with sauerkraut and mustard, sandwiches, potato chips, cupcakes for dessert and some lovely iced tea.

3. What flowers are in your bouquet?   Is this a regular bouquet... then it would contain red, blue, yellow and white flowers.  
If its a wedding bouquet it will  have Lily of the Valley and orchids    
 
4. Silly ways to pass the time during a snowstorm.
Well, not silly but things I have done include:  cooking, watching movies, listening to music, sitting outside on the porch, walking around the neighborhood especially if it's at night.

5. The most beautiful house you’ve ever visited.
My Aunt Johanna. I adored her little split level.   She had a decorating sense that was impeccable.  I loved staying with her.   No clutter!!!  Clean, neat, beautiful furniture, beautiful Staffordshire  in the secretary top cabinet.  Lovely needlepoint on the dining room chairs and the tiny footstool in the living room. ( My mother's home  was filled with needlepoint. The dining room chairs were gorgeous thanks to my mothers handiwork).  No junk .. just quality things around her home.
Today I have the needlepoint my mother made for the piano bench in my living room and on the small boudoir chair in my bedroom.

6. Best place you ever dined.
It would be a draw between Delmonico's in NY and The Russian Tea Room in New York City. Both are spectacular with food that is bar none.    The Grand Tier at the Metropolitan Opera is also nothing to shake a stick at.   Oh, and breakfast in the Palm Court of the Plaza hotel in NY is wonderful.   If you dine at these places, expect to dole out more than $100's for dinner.  Its worth it my friends but not for the faint of heart.
For good hot dogs.. There is a little place in Kenilworth NJ that has delicious Italian hot dogs.. 
What's an Italian hot dog?  If done right.. the dog is French fried, and served on a small Italian roll topped with fried potatoes and onions, fried peppers, ketchup, mustard, sauce.  Trust me.. its good stuff.
ice cream sandwich
Or.. go get a Philly Cheesesteak. Now that is fine dining.
If you are in Ohio.. get some Cincinnati Chili... Oh. My Goodness!!! What a treat that stuff is.

7. How many layers to your ice cream sandwich.    
As far as I know ice cream sandwiches have only 3 layers.

8. Pretty things which are faux patent leather
Shoes sometimes.. purses sometimes.
9. What is the best way to eat chocolate.

On a CMP ice cream sundae... Now I don't recall if it was in Plymouth Pennsylvania, Nanticoke.. or Forty Fort Pa. but it was vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce, then some marshmallow sauce on top of that, peanuts and whipped cream.   I fell in love with them.  We were on our way to spend the weekend at my girl friends grandma's house.  We went swimming on the Susquehanna... I am not fond of lakes and river swimming.  We ate chili hotdogs from a mom/pop and I was up with a tummy ache all night. 

10. Describe your unicorn’s special magic
He is able to render us both invisible, transport us anywhere instantaneously, and make evil people disappear forever.  I have my list ready.

11. All the fruits in your fruit salad
 Mandarin oranges, black cherries cut in half, pineapple, banana, black raspberries, kiwi, sliced peaches, sliced melon.

12. Describe the soil, grass, trees, flowers and rocks in your magical forest.
Lots of moss, black loam soil, oaks, red maple, sugar maple, cedar trees, violets, snapdragons, lady slippers, wisteria, vinca, rocks with mica covering them to sparkle in the sunshine and pink quartz, amethyst (which is quartz).

13. The lyrics which move you the most are:


14. What are the best sauces in the world?  Sauce Andalouse is good. Pico de Gallo is great.  Beef gravy can be used on anything.  Béchamel is lovely.

15. Write a haiku about nature
No, I cannot compete with Matsuo Basho and my favorite haiku.... 

In A Temple Garden :
"The old pond is silent;  now the hop of a frog
plumbs the evening stillness...
Plop!"
haiku by basho


Come visit again please.


 

4 comments:

  1. I love your NYC food entriew, though I have never been to any of them. and I LOVE Jerusalem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your picnic made me hungry! And I love your forest description.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was so much to love here. First of all, the cooler weather sounds wonderful! What I wouldn't give to have to put on a hoodie right now! LOL. Your ice cream sundae sounds mighty good too. I just had another Klondike Bar. It was good enough for now. Your descriptions of your Aunt's house and the needlepoint, etc. My grandmother did a lot of needlepoint too. I have a few of them. Another lost art it seems. Thank you for sharing all of this. I enjoyed it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your answers. I'm so glad you posted the video of the Jerusalem song. I've loved this song every time I've heard on television and never knew the name of it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.