Monday, March 27, 2023

The Lamplighter

 
My tea is nearly ready and the sun has left the sky;
It’s time to take the window to see Leerie going by;
For every night at teatime and before you take your seat,
With lantern and with ladder he comes posting up the street.

Now Tom would be a driver and Maria go to sea,
And my papa’s a banker and as rich as he can be;
But I, when I am stronger and can choose what I’m to do,
Oh Leerie, I’ll go round at night and light the lamps with you!

For we are very lucky, with a lamp before the door,
And Leerie stops to light it as he lights so many more;
And O! before you hurry by with ladder and with light,
O Leerie, see a little child and nod to him tonight!
— Robert Louis Stevenson



3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem. It's been a long time since I've read a Robert Louis Stevenson poem. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that poem and the song too!! Thank you for sharing it with us again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice poem. I've not heard of it before this post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.