z Cottage by the Sea : PS... I Love You. Sat. 9

Friday, November 10, 2023

PS... I Love You. Sat. 9

Happy weekend.  I hope you have lots of lovely things planned even if its just sitting around.

It rained most of Friday and the leaves look so beautiful with the raindrops on them. For
For me, Autumn is the loveliest time of year.  I like everything about it.  Our beaches are our own again as tourists have gone home and even the snowbird people are heading down to their Florida homes.  For those of us who live at the seashore all the time, it is a quiet and pleasant time.  You can still hit the beach on warm days in October and last week we had a day of 72. Of course diehards like me go no matter what month it is. Surfers put on the wet suits and surf all year long anyway


This week's Saturday 9.. PS, I Love You. Join in here.
Unfamiliar with this week's tune?          Hear it here.
The Hilltoppers
 
1) In this song, a man fills his lover in on what's going on in his daily life, including that he was in bed by 9:00 PM. Do you have a regular bedtime?
I used to and it was 10PM.  Now it is when I feel like it no matter how early or late but I am pretty well done by 11:30PM now.

2) He reports that yesterday it rained, but all in all, he can't complain. Do you often find yourself discussing/complaining about the weather?
Rarely.  I grew tired of hearing others complain about the weather and the seasons and decided that it was nonsense to wish life away by constantly hoping for an end to a season or to a certain kind of weather.  Discussing is another thing entirely and that can be interesting and fun to do and of course you want to be able to plan things.

3) This song was recorded many times, by artists as diverse as Rudy Vallee (1934) and Bob Dylan (2017). It's endured because the theme -- reaching out and staying in touch across the miles -- is universal. Is there anyone in your life with whom you regularly correspond? If yes, do you prefer cards/letters, emails or texts?
I text to friends mostly.      I send cards at holidays but that's all really. I used to write to my parents when I was away at school and my husband  and I sent letters daily while he was in California for school.

4) This 1953 version was a hit for The Hilltoppers. The band members met at Western Kentucky University and took their name from the nickname of their school's athletic teams. What was the name of your school's team?
In High school it was the Panthers.  University 1: Bobcats  and 2nd University: Scarlet Knights

high school
university 1

university 2

5) The Hilltoppers always performed in W sweaters, for Western Kentucky. Do you own any sweaters, caps or jackets that celebrate your alma mater?  
I had a letter sweater from a Notre Dame fellow I dated and one from a boy I dated in high school but, they are gone now.

6) By 1960, The Hilltoppers' records weren't selling anymore. But they continued to perform and in 1970 they became the house band at The Holiday Inn in Fort Walton Beach, FL. They were so popular with tourists that they played at that Holiday Inn for years. When did you last stay in a hotel, motel or air bnb?
My last hotel stay was the Plaza Hotel in New York City.  It's my favorite place to stay.  The Jersey girl at the check in always upgrades us to a grand suite.   

7) In 1953, the year this recording was popular, the Eisenhowers moved into The White House. First Lady Mamie Eisenhower was known for her down-to-earth style. For example, she often shared her recipe for Million Dollar Fudge, saying that since it's easy to make and foolproof, she recommended her fudge as the perfect hostess gift. When you're invited to someone's home, do you bring a hostess gift?
 Nope.    I should say that I have brought them in the past . I guess I should  start again.  It just depends on the situation really.
 
8) Also in 1953, radio personality Arthur Godfrey made news for having one of the nation's very first hip replacements. Have you/would you ever be part of a clinical trial, either for a new drug or medical procedure?
No way Jose.  
 
 9) Random question -- Do you fold your socks or roll them?
I roll them up the  old Navy way.  Everything else is done the Konmari way.
 

8 comments:

  1. Million Dollar Fudge? I will look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look up the Konmari way--who knew-I have been doing this for ages, LOL. Have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am at home I do not care what the weather is like and I never complain, but when I am at work and I am standing out in the heat or cold for recess, I do complain about how I am too hot or cold. I never wish seasons away. I enjoy all of them. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. We stepped into the Plaza to use the restroom after a carriage ride in Central Park. I wish we had true seasons here is California. So you sent to school here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something very special about "bare-footin'" at the beach ! Even in the autumn... the sun-warmed top layer gives way to the cooler sand underneath...lovely !
    Oohhh , the scent of ocean salt air ! I find the weather dictates my kitchen adventures - cool and light when hot ... hearty and steamy when it's cold outside . Although I prefer handwritten notes/letters , at this point , any communication is appreciated !
    Enjoy this beautiful day !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I envy you your home at the beach. If I ever won the lottery I'd be packing up and moving to Chincoteague Island in a heartbeat. I love everything about the eastern shore...and Chincoteague is my favorite place because it's less commercialized than most other places. Sadly that is beginning to change.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.