Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Gifts


 

Welcome to Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4..

It's the giving season and people are shopping for presents for people they love.  Can we talk a bit about it?

1. Do you enjoy shopping for gifts at the holidays? Why or why not?

I love to go out shopping around but I hate buying gifts for people since they never seem to like what I give them. My mother used to throw out whatever I gave her even expensive things. This destroyed it for me.      I like wrapping presents just not giving them.  The best gift someone could give me is to say, "Let's not exchange gifts"     But they want stuff.    It give me agita!   And giving for 8 days of Chanukah was never a tradition among religious people.    Save the pious platitudes about it.  I've heard them all but, I still hate giving gifts.  

I suppose the biggest gift I give is making most of the holiday dinners and breakfasts on the holidays. I go all out with the food too That's a gift but I don't think my friends or family see it that way and they still want more. It ruins things for me. I really does.

2. Is the price of things putting a damper on buying this year?

A bit, but, remember I don't like buying gifts at all for any reason.. not at all.   It is just the act of giving someone a gift. Shopping is great. Shopping for others makes me upset and really I'd like to never do it at all.     The only holiday giving I like to do is to St. Jude's Hospital.     I look at presents under the tree and get very very stressed out.      People have no clue how much I hate it.


3. Do you shop online or in stores and why do you choose that way to shop?

I prefer to shop in stores.  Online shopping is damaging to society.  "Oh but its great for the disabled". Bologna. Horse hockey.   It's no such thing.   I ought to know, I am disabled.  It cuts people off from one another and the nation is suffering from it.   Just wait until there is nothing left of stores and your only choice will be Amazon and all those creepy places. They will have seriously high prices and gouge you good.  Mark my words, once they are the only show in town it will be a nightmare.   Sesame Street damaged kids ability to learn  without having a show.   Even churches do Sesame Street style services with bands and mesmerizing repetitive  music to produce kundalini style hypnotic effects.   Liturgy is gone and replaced by stupid Broadway gimmicks. Laser lights, bands.. Oh just ugh.   I wish people would shop local and use small business more. Save the online for just a few items.

“I wish one of you would close the Temple doors so that you would not light useless fires on my altar! I am not pleased with you and will not accept your gifts,” says the Lord of hosts.

4. Which people do you find hard to select gifts for and what do you do when you just have no clue!

Anyone!!!   When I have no clue, I give packaged gourmet foods or cooking gear or books, perfumes, a pretty set of guest towels, etc.




5 comments:

  1. I am sorry that Christmas shopping is so hard for you. So are you Jewish or just like to practice the customs? I have a menorah and I am doing a daily reading. I hope you have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you feel that way. Not everything is bad or stupid or too expensive. I've found a very good and handy isolation case for my insulin and insulin pen at Amazon. It'very good and was not expensive. Never saw it in a normal shop.

    Memories can take away positive feelings. My MIL used to get the best gifts and she either threw them away or went to the shop and exchanged it. They came from me. She didn't accept me.
    Most people were happy with even the smallest gifts. And the smiles and gratefulness are never forgotten. I visited a former studycompagnion after 20 years and she still had the box on top of her bookshelves. She valued all the effort so much...

    I hope this time will be a better experience than before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Annie, I can tell from your post that you really, really detest gift shopping and giving. If I were you, I would simply stop. I think people would understand if they know you well or you simply tell them why. Life is too short to be so stressed out. Giving of yourself through hospitality is a big blessing and a wonderful gift. If you didn't do it anymore, I know for sure that people would miss it. I know longer do it myself. I just find it far too stressful and difficult due to disability but I do still give gifts and yes, I do shop on line because it does help me preserve my energy. I also try to shop local at small business and larger stores. In case, I don't visit on line again soon, have a very Merry Christmas, hopefully with less stress. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning , everyone !
    This year , my gifts came from my kitchen , The dear Chosen Family was polled for their individual favorites and that is what was prepared for each of them . They have no idea how very precious their involvement is , in my life . I do not expect their wrapped gifts to me . Their love IS the gift !
    That said , Mamaa's Chicken with Sour Cream and Almonds WAS my gift !!! YUMMMMM !

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.