z Cottage by the Sea : Paper Dolls

Saturday, February 17, 2024

Paper Dolls

Freezing cold this morning (Friday) and blustery but sunny as a summer day. We might be getting some rain of snow soon though.
As a little girl I loved paper dolls and I had favorites that I played with until they were ragged.   Now, I still play with paper dolls but the online decorating kind.   I like to play online decorating games.

  Paper Doll (1943)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune?     Hear it on YouTube Here  

1) The song is about a fellow who is exasperated by men flirting with his girl. Do you have a jealous streak?
No. I am not competitive or jealous and never have been.
2) He's blue after a quarrel with Sue. Did you exchange harsh words with anyone recently?
No. I was a victim of harsh words but, its never worth it to answer back.  A firm right cross to the chin is the best response.
Just kidding folks.. sort of anyway.
3) "Paper Doll" was #1 for 12 weeks in 1943-44, sold 11 million copies and remains one of the best-selling singles of all time. Had you heard it before today?
Yes, and quite often too. I've heard a lot of the Mills Brothers music.

4) As kids, the Mills Brothers worked on their harmonies in front of their father's Piqua, OH, barbershop, much to the delight of passers by. Do you often encounter street musicians in your neighborhood?
No.  Not at all.
5) The Mills Brothers were a long way from that street corner when, in 1936, they became the first African Americans to perform for the British Royal Family. It's about 4,000 miles from Piqua to London. What's the farthest you've ever been from home?
From one side of the USA to the other side. That's a long, long way! 
6) In the early 1930s, the Mills Brothers not only performed songs on radio, they sang jingles for Standard Oil and Crisco. What commercial can you recall having seen (or heard) lately?

This one on CBS Radio Mystery Theatre...  a 1983 Shoprite Commercial.   This commercial includes prices which might interest you! 

7. In 1943, when "Paper Doll" was popular, WWII was raging and the US Mint began producing steel pennies because copper was needed for ammunition. Do you have any pennies in your pocket or wallet right now? 
Yes.   I always have change in my purse.

8) Also in 1943, a bottle of Coke was a nickel. When did you most recently have a soft drink?

What was it?
I had a Coke Zero about 2 years ago now.  I don't enjoy diet drinks and although I used to adore Coca Cola and fountain soft drinks at the local soda shop , I really now crave my iced tea in summer.

9) Random question: Have you learned more from your successes, or your failures?
I've learned a lot from mistakes and failures I believe.

Tuesday 4 will be up tomorrow night.  Please consider joining in!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Iove that commercial! It is so catchy and the prices. I love stuff like that. Thanks for sharing. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh , that our groceries now , were the quality and prices from that commercial !!!
    It snowed here in the night , coating every tiny twig in white - so pretty ! It is a wet snow and melted on the street and sidewalks , though it continues to drift down like small feathers .
    Greetings to one and all !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you make your own tea. I like tea, but I get a numbing feeling on my tongue. I have to watch my caffeine intake too, so I mostly drink water with fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The commercial is a new one for me. It's probably because we didn't have Shop Rite's in Titusville or Orlando.
    I'm a big fan of the Orange ice tea called "Citrus Sunrise Herbal Supplement" from Celestial Seasonings. It's yummy!
    It's cold, wet, overcast again down our way. I guess Spring is playing hide and seek with us still. LOL
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are online decorating games? How did I not know this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen or heard of Shop Rite since we lived in Connecticut. I would say I learned more from mistakes than success.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.