Friday, June 7, 2024

Feeling Footloose

I write this on Friday afternoon then set it to go up automatically. Friday is a busy day for me as the week comes to an end.  As a kid I always like Thursday the best because the week of school was almost over.   How about you. Did you have a favorite day of the week?
 Footloose takes place in Utah but Utah is nothing like the movie makes it out to be. 

Saturday 9: Footloose (1984)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune.       Hear it here.  

1) In this week's song, Kenny Loggings encourages everyone to lose their blues by dancing. What reliably shakes you out of a funk?
I suppose listening to music helps and usually a good old movie.
2) To cut footloose, he has to kick off his "Sunday shoes." What's on your feet as you answer these 9 questions?
my moccasins
3) This is the title song of the popular 1984 movie of the same name. It's so well-identified with the film that the AFI named it #96 of the top 100 movie songs of the last 100 years. Have you seen Footloose?
Yes both the old and the newer one.
4) The title of his 2022 memoir, Still Alright, was inspired by "I'm Alright," the song he wrote for the raucous golf comedy, Caddyshack. Do you play golf? (Yes, putt-putt miniature golf counts!) Do you watch it on TV?
No, I don't watch golf on TV and I have never played but I always wanted to try.

5) Thinking of movies, Kenny says watching Yankee Doodle Dandy when he was just 7 years old made him think performing looked like fun and says, "I knew deep inside this is something I could do." Do you recall when you set off on your chosen career?
No. I don't know what I was thinking.

6) Kenny grew up in Everett, Washington, north of Seattle and 84 miles from the Canadian border. Have you ever visited Canada? If yes, where did you go?
I have been to Ontario, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island.  I have a lot of friends in Newfoundland .   You know, most people pronounce Newfoundland incorrectly. Residents will tell you that you pronounce it like the word "Understand". The rhyme used to help you say it right is  "Understand? Newfoundland"  the found is said as "fin" newfin-land accent on the new.
 
7) In 1977 Kenny struck up a friendship with Stevie Nicks, who was a source of encouragement and would sing with him on one of his biggest hits, "Whenever I Call You Friend." Tell us about when you met one of your best friends.
Through our religion almost 36 years ago now.

8) In 1984, when this song was a hit, Angela Lansbury premiered in Murder, She Wrote, a show still seen in reruns today. Were/are you a fan?
I watched some of them but I was not a fan, no.  I always felt the show could have done better.  It began nicely with Angela on a bike and appeared to be more about a lady in her cottage solving crime but, it was too sophisticated for that.

9) Let's tweak your memory about something else that happened in 1984. Without looking it up, can you recall why Michael Jackson's Pepsi commercial made headlines the world over?
Didn't his hair catch on fire with that commercial?

10 Random question -- Think of your last professionally prepared meal. Did you dine in, carry out, or have it delivered?
We ate at a restaurant.  We had tons of appetizers and Italian bread with warm butter.  The meal was delicious too.

9 comments:

  1. Moccasins make me think of the flower power hippie children that we tried to be in the 60's. I had leather fringe purse to go with it. I was in Jr. hi school and we couldn't wear pants to school or our moccasins. Lots of dress codes back then. Thanks for bringing this memory to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always barefoot when at home, no, I take that back, when I come home from work, I always put on warm fuzzy slippers. But usually, barefoot. Have a beautiful day Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are comfortable Skechers on my feet right now. I tend to stub my toe(s) if I'm barefoot. I quit doing that!
    Hunger made me decide my career in Accounting. I like to eat, thus, I worked. *lol* Actually, I wasn't thinking about anything in particular when I began my first job after High School. It was clerking in a business office. There I found I really liked record keeping. Kinda backed into it and it went from there to a career. 💙

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never a fan of the movie Footloose. Poor plot line I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bread with warm butter would be my favorite in a meal. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe it or not, I've never seen this movie, although I do remember the song. 1984 was the year my son was born, and life truly changed for me as far as going anywhere or doing much of anything outside of his orbit.
    Have a great weekend, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love moccasins but have a hard time finding ones that fit. Wide feet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Annie~ Loved the movie, Footloose! I haven't seen the new one though. My husband golfs but I don't. I like to golf on the . . . very, old, Wi Sports though. I have never been to Canada, I would love to visit there one day. On Thursday, went out for Mexican food, it was delicious, but going with friends was what made it so good. And yes, my best friend, who I also met at my church!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.