z Cottage by the Sea : Architecture - Tues. 4

Monday, July 22, 2024

Architecture - Tues. 4


Welcome to my blog and I hope you've had a good weekend.Welcome back to Toni Taddeo's Tuesday 4. She would be delighted you are here to join in and so am I.

The photo to the right is the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark, New Jersey.  It is the largest cathedral outside Europe . Not only is it beautiful inside and out but has a magnificent pipe organ   It's cornerstone was laid in 1899.

As  buildings go she is a masterpiece of great workmanship.

1. What are some beautiful buildings in your neck of the woods?

The post office in Newark is very beautiful as well. I was amazed the first time I went inside.  It looked like a palace.

2.  What buildings of renown have you experienced or would like to experience? The Louvre? Maybe  Versailles? Things closer to home perhaps?

My home town park
None.  I really am just not interested  as in going around touring. If I see something that's cool but otherwise I really don't care. I hurt too much.  

For others The Chrysler Building in NYC is gorgeous inside and out. So is the Empire State Building.  Central Park as well as many parks in NJ including in my home town, were designed by Architect Frederick Law Olmstead and are masterpieces. 



 
 t learned to skate on the lake.   We lived right across the street.  To the right is my mother's blurry photograph of me by the lake.  The photo bleached out having had too much sunshine on it.

3. What do you think of the current trends in modern buildings ?Disgraceful. From homes, strip malls, Quonset hut churches and concrete box schools beauty of design is gone.  High prices and excessive regulation make building a chore and people must be frugal to live.  It's a shame really. 

4. If you could choose any style home you would like, what would it be? Victorian, Farm House, Craftsmen, Ranch, Georgian, Tudor, Cape Cod? 

Hard choice as they are all lovely. But they don't build things like this anymore.  I am partial to Dutch Colonials though.  

Dutch Colonial
The home above is identical to one in my home town and where my girl friend lived.  It was very nice inside. My main memory of the house was meeting up there with her for our dates who were two boys from Harvard who where "Older men" since we were in high school.  My date was super snooty but we drove up north for ice cream and all was forgiven.  Good ice cream can solve a lot of difficulties.

 Below is a color scheme I want to paint my home and this is a home I just adore:

4 comments:

  1. The Dutch Colonial home is beautiful, I can see myself living there.☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew of that style. When I was in college, I enjoyed learning about forms of architecture in my art history class. You are right about new styles. They just compare. I like to look at older churches when I travel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the Dutch Colonial style, but it's just not practical for us at our stage in life. We have six steps going up to our porches to get inside our current home, which is a manufactured home. There are days that it is all I can do to get up and down those steps, especially with groceries. So if we ever do decide to move again, it will be to a home on the ground with no steps, or at least no more than a couple. I love the picture of you. That is so sweet!!! You were a sweet beautiful little girl! And now you are a sweet and beautiful mature woman! Thank you for doing these each week. It keeps us on our toes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must agree with you regarding new construction plans.. it jsut seems like all creativity has evaporated. I never stopped in NY city except on the train in the for a quick change. Never left the platform.. would love to see the city proper, though! I, also, think Dutch Colonial homes are beautiful.. Again, so much creativity in design and those extra touches that make a house a home!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.