Saturday, August 10, 2024

Annie's Song.. Saturday 9

Annie's Song is one of the very few songs written about the name and certainly the only pretty one. The other songs are silly and goofy at best.

                                                                        Annie's Song
Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every
Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here are today's questions!

Saturday 9: Annie's Song (1974)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it HERE

1) 50 years ago this month, we were all listening to John Denver rhapsodize about nature. He singles out walking in the rain as a particularly lovely experience. Do you enjoy walking in the rain?
Yes I really do enjoy the rain.  I used to love walking to and from school in the rain.  I remember the lights on in the elementary school room and watching the cars go by in the
rain outside, their headlights reflecting on the wet street.  It is a vivid memory. Another strong memory is walking home for lunch through the puddles along the way. I loved it so much and those memories make me very happy.

2) Denver wrote this song on a ski lift in Aspen. He clearly relished the ride, but ski lifts are problematic for those who suffer from acrophobia, or a fear of heights. Acrophobia plagues approximately 5% of Americans. Are you one of them?
I do not like heights much and even watching people in movies at great heights makes me upset and I will not watch those scenes.

3) John Denver recalled that this song just came to him as he looked down on the beauty of nature. Can you recall a time when something you saw in nature touched your heart?
I can't recall a time when nature did not touch my heart. There are scenes everyday that move me in one way or another.

4) Wildly successful here in The States, John Denver's popularity didn't extend to the United Kingdom. In fact, "Annie's Song" was his only major hit. But it was a big one. Denver's version reached #1 in 1974 and then in 1978 James Galway hit #1 on the UK charts with an instrumental version. Do you have a favorite instrumental recording?
My favorite instruments would be Sleep Walk by J Santo and Johnny  and then a few classical pieces that I love.
5) John Denver's first-ever guitar, a gift from his grandmother, was displayed at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. Have you visited a museum yet this summer? If not, do you have plans to?
No. I would love to though.
6) In addition to the guitar, Denver also played the violin (or "the fiddle," as he called it). If a genie appeared to magically enable you to play the instrument of your choice, which would you choose? 
The harp.
  Let's look at the summer of 1974.

7) Elizabeth Berkeley was born. She's best known as Jesse on the Saturday morning teen sitcom, Saved by the Bell. What Saturday morning TV shows do you remember fondly?
Thundercats,  He Man, Jem,  Scooby Do, Batman on weekdays.
8) Hall of Fame pitcher and Cardinal great Dizzy Dean died. How is your baseball team doing this summer?
Doing good!
9) The biggest summer movie was The Longest Yard starring Burt Reynolds. What's your favorite Burt Reynolds movie?
I am just not a Burt Reynolds fan at all.  

6 comments:

  1. Your answer about walking inb5be rain conjured up my own memories of school in bad weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That song has always been special to me as I loved John Denver from the start. I use to learn and play many of his tunes on guitar and sing. And isn't it great to have such a memorable song with your name featured?
    Blessings, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to take in the beauty of nature too. Just gorgeous. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ny dad looks just like the younger version of Burt Reynolds. ANYWAYS, Wishing you a beautiful weekend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something wonderful about taking the time to look around and appreciate the beauty of it all ! Falling asleep to the sounds of last night's rain was lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your answer about the rain/walking the rain, etc., and also about nature. I love that this song was named for you! I can imagine perhaps someone may have sung that to you. It's a beautiful song! I'm not a big Burt Reynolds fan either. He just thought too much of himself! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.