Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Hodgepodge on a Wednesday

Cool is the word for this week weather wise. Temperatures are rising to the very low  70°F and the 50°F at night. There is usually a light breeze all day long and trees are slowly turning.   The green ash in the back is going a bit yellow here and there and dropping a few leaves each day.   The sun is out in full force and shining for all it's worth.  How  is it going in your neck of the woods?

I am joining in for Hodgepodge again this week.

Link up here
1. Something you're working on currently? 
I am working on the house little by little and very very slowly. 

 2. Tell us something about your first job? Was it a positive or negative experience for you? Did your parents insist you work while in school (either high school or college) or did you work because you wanted to? 
My first job  at age 14 was in the local 5&10¢ store.   It was positive as I knew everyone  in that small store.  I liked the customers and knew many of them too.   My parents did not insist that I work. 
On that job I cut material, weighed out candy by the bag, did check out (they had an old fashioned cash register so you had to add each item in your head and of course, figure out the total and the change.) I got good at totaling up long lists of numbers and making change.

3. Have you ever had a job that required overnight travel? How did you feel about that? Have you ever had a job that required you to wear a uniform? Do you work better in the morning or at night?
No. I would not take a job that requires travel and especially with family at home.

As far as a uniform, yes.   I wore lab coats and as far as day/night, I can do either.  

4. What's something you bake or cook that is labor intensive? Is it worth it?
I am not sure if you mean hard to make or just takes time to make.
I don't find anything really hard to make but lasagna can take time to assemble. Pies  can take awhile due to making the crust and preparing the ingredients.

5. One thing you're looking forward to in the month of September? 
Just the month itself.  I decided a while ago to stop complaining about the seasons/weather and wishing time away with the "Oh, I wish it was.... fill in the blank".   We should enjoy our situation as much as is possible and stop wishing time would fly to another season.  Just stop whining and find things that are good about it.  So, that's what I have been doing and it works!

6. Insert your own random thought here.
My town has been named the quirkiest town in New Jersey.  I guess that's pretty cool.





9 comments:

  1. I know number one very well. Just took a break. Sorting through an ole file of bills and papers and had to rest. I was getting dizzy from all that paperwork! Not my favorite. I like how you described your first job. It reminded me of Woolworth's in its heyday. I loved to buy candy and someone attended to all the different choices. Plus everything else they sold. They had the best lunch counter too. I was 18 working in the County Treasurers office. My mom's friend thought I would do well so I attended college at night and worked by day. Oh how enlightened I was with the political field. My oh my, I was young and so innocent. Boy did they open up my eyes. I am grateful to be here today and thankful for you hosting Tuesday4. I want to rejoin Hodge Podge. If life will stop rocking our boat! Take care and enjoy the remainder of this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on the seasons and try not to rush them to an end before their time. I'm ready for fall but it's still summer here so I'll jump in the lake and wear shorts and drink iced coffee because the weather is definitely saying summer still. I love pie but rarely make my own crust. I get it, but I do think the Pillsbury that are in a roll and you just lay them out taste pretty good and cut the prep time way down. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fall. As for a dish that takes time would be eggplant parmesan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also used an old register back in 1970. We will be over 100 each day this week, with the highest hitting 108! This is a heat wave and it is more common to be in the 9's We can have hot weather through October. I have never made a pie from scratch, or lasagna. I have made enchiladas, both the individual and casserole version. Both take time. We used the green sauce and add chicken. I like to cook more when the weather is cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your #5 answer. We definitely need to enjoy the season we are in and not wish away our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of enjoying each day as it comes, and not complaining or wishing our time away. Let's celebrate every breath God has given us. Blessings, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Labor intensive ? My condiments are labor intensive to prep , cook and waterbath can . The pleasure comes from handing them out as gifts to those I love and having them on the shelf when needed . Some of the contents of those lovely jars are : Cranberry Catsup , Onion Jam , Apple Pie Jam , Spiced Blueberry Jam , Ginger Pear Preserves...yummm .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although living here in Florida our summer is too long and hot and I guess we do complain about it a lot, but actually I am thankful that we live in an area that does not see the viciousness of the worst storms like in other parts of the state along the coast especially. I am thankful that now in this age we have Air conditioning so we don't have to suffer in the high temperatures and High humidity like we did when I was growing up. However, I am very thankful when September gets here and we begin to see a slight change in the weather for the better. It is always very welcome.
    Things that are time consuming to make...yes, you nailed it, lasagna and home made pies. My mother made the best pie crust and pies. I sometimes take shortcuts and use the store bought Pillsbury rolled out pie crusts, but I enjoy pies so much better when I take the time to make the crust from scratch. There' s such a difference in how it tastes! My mother was still baking pies until the last few months of her life. She died at age 89.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun answers..now I want to know the name of your town. Lasagna can be time consuming that's for sure. I just made some last weekend with homemade noodles. it took some time but was so good.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.