Friday, November 2, 2018

Autumn by the Bay



November is a birthday month for me and my daughter. Her birthday falls on Thanksgiving Day this year, as does mine from time to time. I am three days later. November leaves are
finally here having turned quickly and dramatically and trees are in full bloom with oranges, reds and yellows that are so beautiful. The trees are a bit sparse here and there because of a nor'easter last week which blew so many leaves off the trees.
It's time again for Friday Foto Friends with Debbie and Skyley's SkyWatch Friday.
Why not join in with some of your photos?

Most of these photos are taken with my Android phone this morning. It is a gray, drizzly day today by the bay.



You will see wires in some photos because this close to the water you cannot put lines underground. The water table is just too high.
When help arrived from other states to help after hurricane Sandy, they were shocked that most of our lines are overhead still. They were also shocked that some parts were a hundred years old and had no replacements.  But think of the great workmanship that electrical equipment from 100 years ago was still operating in good shape until the hurricane!


Leaves littering the back porch steps They need sanding and painting. Not sure how I can manage that alone, but we will see. Necessity is the mother of invention sometimes.



Life in the pond continues all year long.  
As temperatures decline, the fish go into hibernation. Once the water temperature hits the low 50's they are no longer fed until it rises again.  
If the ponds freeze over, they will lie at the bottom until spring.
The pond is 4 feet deep on its large end, and I use a pond heater in winter to keep a big hole open and warm in the coldest weather.





Everytime I look out my laundry room door I think of the song by Creedance Clearwater Revival... ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬"Doo, doo, doo, lookin' out my back door"♩ ♪ ♫ ♬.
You can see the screen in the door.    The green is wisteria that grows over an old awning structure across the back door.
 


Autumn in my town is pretty. Everything turns to dark greens, golds and vivid red-orange. And, best of all, the colors reflect into the water.



Rain drops dancing on the pond this morning.


The Salt Marsh turns a gold and brown mix. Here and there are touches of orange.

The sky over the bay.

Below is where the creek enters the bay.




 I will be back tomorrow with Saturday 9.. until then, have a wonderful Friday.


9 comments:

  1. I have a lot of respect for anything that lasts 100 years! Love that shot out your screen door. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what beautiful scenery. And those colors are lovely.

    Angie @ Baer Ascent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all these photos, especially looking through your screen door to your back yard,and the wisteria vine over the door. I love wisteria,and have it growing here along our fence. When we move I intend to take some with me to plant. All the leaves are beautiful, and the marshes, ponds, etc. Today was a gray day here as well, and it finally rained this afternoon. We surely needed it so I am happy to see it. Have a blessed and beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures, I really loved looking out your backdoor. Now I'll be singing that song for days!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow to those 100 year-old wires! Great photos! We don't get the colors changing like that here in FL so I am always happy to see photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love to see Fall photos and yours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colours of autumn are so lovely and yours are no exception. We also have overhead powerlines and I tend to think they make photos a bit more interesting - especially in black and white.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love all of your fotos. I'm soooo late to visit. Seems like my life is going every which way these days. HAPPY THursday to you, sweet Lady!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.