Saturday, November 3, 2018

Saturday 9, It Must be Him!


  It Must Be Him by Vicki Carr

Saturday 9: It Must Be Him (1967)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) This song is about a woman waiting impatiently for a phone call. Do you consider yourself patient?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on the situatin.


2) Other women (most notably Shirley Bassey and Dottie West) have recorded this song. Harry James and Doc Severinson did instrumental versions. But there's no record of a male singing "Oh dear God! It must be her! Or I shall die!" Do you think that's because waiting for the phone to ring is more "a chick thing," and men simply don't do it?

I think men just can't talk about their feelings or let them show much.Then again, what do I know?

3) This recording enjoyed a sudden surge of popularity after 20 years when it was included on the soundtrack of Moonstruck, the 1987 film that won Cher an Oscar. Have you seen Moonstruck?
It's one of my favorite movies. I think I know almost every line from that movie. If you grew up in New York/New Jersey area you know this kind if life and these kinds of people.

4) This week's featured artist, Vikki Carr, was born in El Paso, TX. El Paso can proudly proclaim itself one of America's safest cities. What can your hometown be proud of?

My hometown was the first town lit with electric lights, the first town to have a call from Marconi whose Marconi Wireless Telegraph lab was there. The first radio broadcast was from my town. We also had a Revolutionary War hospital in town and many skirmishes were fought in our town.
We also have the first school building made of poured cement, some of the first women politicians.
Not bad for a tiny town of 10,000 on 1 sq mile of land.

5) She was a staple on Jerry Lewis' Labor Day Telethon, raising funds for the Muscular Dystrophy Association by performing this song. Is your TV on right now? If so, what are you watching?
My TV is rarely on. I am watching nothing as I am doing this.

6) In 1971, Vikki fulfilled a dream of hers by establishing the Vikki Carr Scholarship Foundation. Every year the foundation awards Hispanic American students money to use toward higher education. She says it's her way of returning "the support and encouragement she received from others" early in her career. If you could establish a charitable foundation, what cause would you like it to benefit?

I would establish a foundation to keep snowmen alive through the spring , summer and fall. It's just not fair  that they melt after winter. It is a very neglected worthy cause.
 Maybe also one to help the swallows return to Capistrano a bit easier. Their wings get tired I think. Perhaps some sort of rapid transit would help.
I might also like to finance PhD level education for  Polish/Italian/Irish Americans (you must be a combination of all 3).  There are not enough people with doctorates who have this background.

7)  In 1967, when this song was popular, Dr. Christiaan Barnard performed the first heart transplant. Today, one of the most common surgeries performed in the United States is the coronary artery bypass surgery. Have you had any surgeries?

Yes. Another one coming up in 5 days.

8)  Also in 1967, the RMS Queen Mary was retired after 31 years of service. Have you ever traveled by cruise ship?
I was on the Spirit of Norfolk for a cruise around Norfolk harbor. I  got sea sick.It was a rainy day and I had to sit up on deck anyway to keep from getting sick. 

9) Random question: Who is your oldest living relative?
 My mother's cousin in Pennsylvania. She is 86 years old and still active in her town government where she was a council member for 30 years.
See you tomorrow for  Sunday Stealing.

8 comments:

  1. "Dr. Christiaan Barnard performed the first heart transplant. Today, one of the most common surgeries performed in the United States is the coronary artery bypass surgery. Have you had any surgeries?"

    The first heart transplant...They say people who receive a transplant sometimes take on some of the personality traits, mannerisms, and tastes of the donor. Like they never liked beer, but now they do. Weird...

    I've only had surgery once, no transplants. Hope all goes well with your surgery, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Croatian, will you fund my PhD? LOLOLOL---I was asked about grad school yesterday from the Dean...honestly, let me get through this. smiles

    Hope you have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Croatians need PhD's too! After all the junk you're going through are you ready for a PhD? Talk about political!! ;)

      Delete
  3. Your town has lots of great things to be proud of! Wow!! I enjoyed your answers today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your answers Annie especially #6 which had me laughing. Thanks for the reminder with #4. Yes so many of our taken for granted things today were created in your part of Jersey. Being Italian and growing up in an Italian neighborhood I related very much so with Moonstruck. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your answers..."Moonstruck" is a favorite of mine , too !
    As to your upcoming surgery , you are wrapped in the prayers and well wishes of all who know and love you . You are very dear to us...a special person...be well

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.