Thursday, November 1, 2018

Memories of Garfield

Garfield
I have to be near to her since the others are gone. The dog died over a year ago now and my brother died last October .
I am the man of the house now.

Yes, I used to trouble my brother, but a fellow must have fun in life after all. The dog was nice and we were good friends. Now, except for her I am alone. I am glad we have each other.

We have dwindled down in this house to just us two. I am the cat of the house now and I am 16 years old I think. I am not quite sure and will have to check sometime.
I and my brothers and sisters were born in her dresser drawer. Most got other homes but my mother, a very tiny tortoise shell cat and my brother and I .. two ginger cats, stayed home with her.

Once there were many more of us. The entire house was filled with people. Tons of people and only one bathroom! I don't know what the problem with that is but humans complain about it especially with 6 people and one bathroom in the morning.
I think the bathroom is a neat place . I play in the toilet water and occasionally take a drink too.
There was good food in the kitchen and my mother and brother and I and our dog would hang around waiting for left over breakfast eggs.

Then she and the dog went outside to walk for a bit while we guarded the house.
Ah, those were the days. We went through snow storms and hurricanes and nor'easters and high water. We shivered with lightning and thunder but she was with us and it was okay.
But the hustle and bustle of those times is gone now. The old human grandmother passed away one afternoon. Everyone was sad. She gave me treats sometimes.
The children went away to school and one got married! The man who was here was gone too.   He never cared for any of us and just left us one night.
One day my mother went outside in the evening and never came home again.We were all very sad.
Then the dog got cancer and then Lyme disease and passed away and then my brother cat had an attack in the fall and passed away that very hour. I cried. She cried too. We were so sad without him.
Now, I follow her around as she and I are the last of our pride and must stay together.
I hate it if she leaves the house. Where should she go without me?   She needs me!
I follow her around the house and sit with her while she works, and sleep near her every night. Before she used to put me and my brother out of the room and made us sleep in the living room!
But I don't like that anymore. It's too lonely so she lets me stay. Hurrah!
Until bedtime, I sleep here in the tall backed chair near her desk with the afghan she made long ago. Its an old kitchen chair and she draped it over with a comforter and then a chair cover and placed this afghan she made on the back so that anyone sitting there might be more comfortable and warm.
I have to admit it's very nice but it's certainly not as nice as the big bed where I cuddle up nightly.
She says that she cannot move her feet all night long as I am on them. Now, I ask you, please, is that really such a big thing?
There, see? You agree with me, it's not. Most certainly it is not. I am a proper and prim cat and I do not trouble anyone.

Tonight I heard the strangest sounds coming from the woods behind. I crept to the back doors to look out and see what it could be and saw giant, luminous eyes looking back at me from deep inside the dark woods!
I am sure it was some kind of monster so I ran quickly to find her, so I could inform her that I was on the alert.
I ran so fast I slid on the rugs she puts on the floor. I love them!
I run at those rugs full speed, then jump on them hard  'til they slide across the polished floors and spin me round.   We call it carpet surfing and it is a lot of fun.
Then I run to the next, and the next til they are all over the house and I am splitting my sides with kitty laughter.
She will put them back for my next ride.
She does things like that, fixing stuff and putting things right in the house.
I had so much fun surfing that I forgot to tell her about the monster in the woods.
It can wait.
I don't really want to go see if it is still there.




This post was first written in 2010 and now the house has dwindled down to just one.
Garfield passed on and joined the others on May 31, 2015 at age 21.
Sometimes I think I hear him around the house....
To read about my pet friends, go here.







Joining in Thankful Thursday with Rebecca Jo.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my...I love this story of your cat. What a sweet kitty he must have been. It is so hard to lose our pets. Sometimes I think after losing one that I just shouldn't get another, but so far I always do because I just can't stand our home not to have a sweet little dog, in our case.

    You certainly have a way with words. So loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! As soon as I was down to two fur babies I went an adopted a brother and sister. I need to be a fur baby Mom! It is my calling! Thanks for providing years of love to your fur babies! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this story really touched me. I am sad to read that it is an old story, and that this sweet kitty is no longer with you. That made me want to cry. I don't have any fur babies here at our house. We really have never been much for pets I guess. We had some doggies over the years, but we moved too often and it wasn't always easy to keep the doggies. We had a couple of cats, and again, we moved, and could not take them. One stray kitty came to live with me I thought, but just as I was getting ready to let her come inside and be my kitty, she disappeared back into the woods from whence she came never to return. So I gave up on fur babies. We enjoy watching the wildlife around us and feed the birds and water the bears, deer, raccoons, coyotes, bobcats...so I guess we are doing our part. Your story is still making me sad. But I'm glad you shared it. Maybe you need another???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! What a wonderful story your late Garfield wrote Annie. This one should definitely be published as a children's book although Grownups like me would enjoy reading it. It's sad when your pets pass on especially when they are really members of the family. Ever consider getting another pet? You are definitely a talented writer as well an artist. Have a blessed day ahead dear Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your (sad) story Annie. Pets give us so much love and I hope they feel the love we give in return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely story of your special furbaby. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a short hello to tell me you were here! I love hearing from you. Thanks for visiting.